Re: Full Moon Bite (pics)
LSF Member
From East Central,MN
Excellent info Spenser

Quote:

Crappie-Spense wrote:
Quote:

hanoverhydro wrote:
In 4-9 feet and cabbage, what is your setup so that you don't get into the weeds? I'm assuming you are dragging your lures over the weeds? How deep do the rockers go and how much line out, boat speed, etc? Thanks for your help. I'm new to trolling.

The importance of a line counter is crucial as you might know. With #3 River Rockers I figure 50-55' of braided line will get me down 5 feet running at 1.90-2.3 MPH, 70-75' of line 7 feet down and so on. Most of the cabbage patches I am fishing are 6-7'. So with this said always keeping your bait at 5 feet will insure I am always in the the fishes site and I am far enough off bottom where I am safe. Now once you gain confidence with the River Rocker or any bait for that matter start to let more line out and find a feel for the bottom. I always hold my rod and can always feel any weed or rock on the bottom. The nice thing about river rockers is they have such an aggressive motion making it very easy to detect a weed and can usually be fixed by a hard jerk of the rod.

As we get later into fall and the stick bait bite started to improve keeping your bait up off bottom is even more crucial as they can be very hard to detect if they are weeded up. Now with a stick bait you might think bigger bait, less line, not true. Since most stick baits don't have as sharp of a bill you are going to need to run almost twice the amount of line (obviously this doesn't stand true for EVERY stick bait) and really pay attention to detail and how the bait is running. Hope this helps hanoverhydro.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 17:37
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Becida, MN
For what it is worth, I wouldn't ever use braided line when I was pulling cranks. It is either lead, or mono for me. I always use a rod holder instead of holding my rod. If you want to maintain a constant depth, take the human part of the equation out of it.

Spenser, what are the benefits to running braided line? You are one of the first people who I have seen mention that.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 5:22

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Quote:

Brokerdoodle wrote:
For what it is worth, I wouldn't ever use braided line when I was pulling cranks. It is either lead, or mono for me. I always use a rod holder instead of holding my rod. If you want to maintain a constant depth, take the human part of the equation out of it.

Spenser, what are the benefits to running braided line? You are one of the first people who I have seen mention that.

I have run mono, and infact ran it all last year and was not impressed at all. For one the natural stretch mono has drives me nuts when trying to set the hook. Second, the feel braid has vs. mono doesn't compare in my opinion. When running shallow cabbage I have to know if my crank is running clean and I just don't get that feel with mono. Now the one thing I do like about mono is that I can get my crank behind the boat a little farther than braid.

Also, when you say you use a rod holder when trolling I couldn't agree more. But, shallow cabbage and shollow rocks are almost impossible to just set the rod in the holder for long periods of time. The bottom is constantly changing and depth various so much. So by holding the rod I can raise the rod 6 feet in the air to make the crank rise and then as I get deeper I can drop the rod back down. Also one thing I do alot of is jig my rod or pull it forwars slow and fish always strike on the wat back. Rod holders have there place but shallow cabbage and rocks can be hard to just set the rod down.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 9:19

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Agree for shallow trolling weeds and rocks you want the rod in your hands for the reason stated above. Plus you can throw in surges and pauses to get the followers to eat.

Braid is the only way to fly for me. I have mostly 6/20 spiderwire stealth, but I am going to try some of the suffix 832 next.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 10:18

LSF Member
From Barnesville MN / Detroit Lakes area
Thanks a bunch! This helps take some of the guessing out of it. I trolled one time this year and picked up a few fish but it was a feel like you said. I spent much time cleaning off hooks. Keep up the good reports. I appreciate them.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 13:27

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
I too use rod holders, and I cannot stand braid. With the speed of the boat you don't want to be setting hooks, which you will inevitably do while holding the rod in your hand. I see clients lose fish all the time due to this, and they eventually learn to lay the rod in the holder. Setting the hook adds resistance and can cause hooks to pop, or rip out of the fish's mouth. Mono doesn't show the tickle as well as braid, but it keeps your bait higher. With braid you'll be digging closer to bottom much more, and are going to get caught up a lot more often. You want the give mono provides IMO, same reason you use glass rods when trolling. Only place I see for braid is straight-line trolling deeper water. If you want to add a pause or pull, tug the line and let it drop back while it's in the holder.

I do see the advantage of lifting the rod tip when coming over a really shallow area though.

No matter, what Spense was doing sure worked! Like anything, you'll find what you're comfortable with as you go. Tinker with a few diff. tactics/set-ups and find what's right for you.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 20:12

LSF Member
From Bemidji
I also use rod holders. There are times where i will graph a clump on weeds that comes up to area where crank is running and ill pull it out to make sure it stays clean. then back in the rod holder. I do run braid on MOST of my trolling set ups with flouro leader. Primarily when going thru the weeds so i can feel better to make sure its clean. I do have linecounters spooled up with mono also with my stiffer rods and running on planer boards.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 21:24

LSF Member
From Breckenridge / DL / Perham
Great discussion! I am hearing a lot of things that I have been dialing in with my shallow trolling this year. Interesting to hear about the hooksetting, I have been debating what to do on that for some time.
I tend to have the rod in hand as much as possible, mostly because I like the excitement of the hit & need that little extra (kinda like the visual experience in spearing). I too have hooked up on a lot of fish this year using the pauses & jerks after feeling a follow or tap. On the other hand, I've come back to the rod many times after helping with the net and had fish on.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 9:30

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
As far as the hook set goes when holding the rod I guess I didnt explain it very well. When I feel the fish strike I simply hold the rod and do not move until the rod is loaded up to the point where It starts pulling drag. Then I start to reel slowly. So in reality I am the rod holder. Like Matt said this takes time to learn and so often I see guests in my boat set the hook as soon as they feel the initial strike. It takes time to learn but once you get it down it's game on. Obviously everyone has their own method and all will work.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 9:47

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page