Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: After the shot...warm weather venison care.
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I think you can call it in. You can with turkeys and that takes all of 1 minute.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 16:13

LSF Member
From Mn
Quote:

ccales wrote:
Quote:

bow-fishhunter wrote:
typically i shoot the deer and within 2 to 3 hours later it is cut up and in the freezer. I don't let it hang for days and I do all my own butchering too.

I don't hang mine for aging either. But field dressing, dragging, loading, drive time then skinning and butchering for me is about a 6-7hour pocess from field to freezer. I would guess that is too long on a 70 degree day. Maybe I'm wrong.
I do age mine and am hestiant of even going out till it cools down.With your deer in warm weather it will stay ok for 24 hrs or so,Gotta clean the cavity real good soon as possible colder the water the better cool slows the deterioration if you can get it to 50 degrees or lower it helps.I am lucky I can rent space in a meat locker for $1.00 a day.Gotta be skinned and clean tho.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 16:30

LSF Member
From Blaine MN
We field dress, skin, then debone right on the carcass. Put the meat in garbage bags and throw in the extra fridge to cool down over night and process the next day. We also cut off just the bigger chunks of fat (if there is any), and leave the rest of the small pieces of fat to be trimmed off when the meat is prepared for cooking.

Also I believe if you are outside the TB zone or chronic wasting disease area you don't have to present the deer to register it. You can stop at a registration station or call it in.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 17:32

LSF Member
From Hibbing, MN
As said above. You can call it in to register. Of if you are like our registration station they have never looked at a deer. So we stop and register our deer any time we drive by.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/deer/harvestreg.html

Posted on: 2012/9/13 19:09

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
What we have done is skin and quarter it then throw it in the fridge until the next day.

If I were in your shoes I would be tempted to skin and quarter it and if you have a big enough cooler throw all of it there for the drive home until you can debone/cut it how you like. In the cooler if you are worried about the water, etc. just throw a few frozen 2 litre bottles in there to keep it all cool. We usually do this out fishing and it works great.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 19:30

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Even 6 to 7 hours I donít think you need to worry about spoilage.
All aging your meat is, is letting the bacteria break down the meat slowly yet it isnít spoiled.
I donít think you need to worry about it going bad.
Just skin and quarter the deer asap and youíll be fine.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 21:08

LSF Member
From Bloomington Mn
If you do put the meat in garbage bags. NEVER EVER, put it in black bags. White or clear bags only.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 21:54

Pro Staff
From walker
Looking at the forecast for next week looks like hanging a day or two wont be a problem.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 7:36
www.walleyetrips.com
Fish house rental - www.leechlakeicefishing.com
218-368-6424

LSF Member
The most important thing this weekend is to make a good, ethical shot on your deer. It won't take long for meat to go bad on Saturday should you not be able to find your deer within a few hours of the shot. Sunny and in the 80's in my area.....not good.

As long as you skin it and have it in a cool dry area after that you'll be fine. I've deboned mine and thrown them in coolers with ice and have never had any issue.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 8:12

LSF Member
From South St. Paul via McGregor
I put a block of ice in the cavity and then wrapped it with an old quilt...kept it real nice and cold.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 11:41

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page