Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Canoezilla vs The Rum River
LSF Member
Can anyone tell me anything about the Rum on the stretch between Princeton and Cambridge? My bro and I are going to try and get a canoe or two down there, maybe give the smallies a 30 second taste of fall breeze (then quickly returning them of course) and hopefully have a bonfire and enjoy a few pulls on the old whiskey jug.

Questions:
-----------------------------
-Will the current water levels cause us any problems?
-Anyone have any specific knowledge on the canoe campsites? Any great ones, terrible ones?
-What's been catchin the fish? I have a fair amount of experience fishing on the Snake, St. Croix, etc so I imagine it's not much different? My go to has usually been a Baby 1 Minus or a floating Rapala.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 13:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Canoezilla vs The Rum River
LSF Member
From Cambridge
I have not paddled up river of the walbo access but know a few guys that have and you will spend some time crawling through log jams. At the water levels right now i wouldn't be surprised if you had to get out and drag a few times. Both sites between walbo and Cambridge are decent sites.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 2:50

LSF Member
Haha - you're about 2 days too late with the post - but exactly spot on. We weren't in any tremendous hurry or the log jams would have been an annoyance but since we weren't we just took them in stride and enjoyed the extra structure for fish to hang out in. We only had two trouble spots that required a little oomph...but they were both within 2 miles of the landing on hwy 95; we had no issues whatsoever from the Hwy 7 put-in up almost to 95. Wait, I shouldn't say no issues...

Campsite was easy to find BUT...
1. The river was about 5-6' below the landing/trail up to the campsite which made for a "creative" system getting our camping gear, cooler and golden retriever up the near vertical drop.
2. The entire field behind the campsite was covered with poison ivy. It wasn't in the mowed area at all, but one step off and you're in it.

Fishing was good. I caught maybe 5 bass and 10 pike fishing mostly shallow cranks and various spinners. We only saw 1 big smallie the whole weekend, but fortunately my sister-in-law who'd only ever caught panfish pulled it in. Really bent her zebco, took a while to get in, and with all her squealing it was pretty entertaining.

Couldn't believe how clear the water was and, other than the two issues mentioned would highly recommend it to anyone.

Does the river get muddier when it's full? If it stays as clear as it was I can't wait to come back in the summer when I actually want to be in the water!

Posted on: 2012/9/24 8:00

LSF Member
From Cambridge
Which campsite did you stay at? The visibility does go down the higher the water is.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 9:24

LSF Member
I guess it's called "west point watercraft campsite"

Posted on: 2012/9/24 10:14

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page