Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

A great day on the Sippi!
LSF Member
I have had a lot of good days on the Mississippi, but today was one of the better days I've personally had. For numbers and size, it was just a spectacular day!

I was fishing from my waders and started out fishing an area that gets fished pretty hard. There was two others fishing this area from shore. An older man and his young grandson. I fished just downstream from them at the tail end of a hole that tucks in close to shore, while they fished near the head of the hole. I'm not talking about deep water, but maybe five feet at its deepest. With the water as low as it is right now, there are a lot of fish in these areas. A cast to the current seam at the tail end of the hole resulted in a fish in my first nice casts! Luckily, the fish weren't real picky today or I would have run out of suckers rather quickly. If there was a minnow on the hook, it was going to get eaten, dead or alive! I normally like to keep a fresh minnow on my hook, but at the start of the day, it didn't matter. This area slowed some so I moved downstream a bit to the next little hole and started catching again. That was the story of the day. Catch five or six, and move down to the next. I didn't count how many I caught, but it was a lot. I had a few dozen suckers and went through every one and caught two or three fish with some of them. The biggest I had was right around 20", but I had several that were 17"+.

My presentation is very simple right now. Hook, line, and sinker. The weight doesn't have to be much. At times, I don't even use one. The two that were fishing near me when I started today were using too much weight, maybe an ounce, but they changed up their presentations soon after I got there and started getting fish more consistently. Little things can make a big difference. I also have been using circle hooks. Every fish was hooked right in the lip. I had no gut hooked fish. Circle hooks help prevent that from happening and it's vital we do our part to protect this fishery.

I wish I could get back out over the weekend, but it's my weekend to work so it will have to wait until early next week! That will give me a few days to rest my arm I guess because after a day like today, my arm was actually sore from fighting these smallies! Agh well, no complaints I guess!

Posted on: 2012/10/18 18:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A great day on the Sippi!
LSF Member
From Moorhead and all around
Nice job. Looks like the fall fishing is heating up nicely for you.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 20:40

Founder & Editor
From Deerwood, MN
Nice job Matt!

Posted on: 2012/10/18 21:21

Field Staff
From Hutchinson
Now that sounds like a blast. Nice work.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 7:08

LSF Member
From andover
glad you had a great day on the river. remindes me of my younger days wading the rivers up north for trout. good luck.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 8:02

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Glad to hear you had a great outing, congrats!

Posted on: 2012/10/21 13:50

LSF Member
Nice... What town was that fish caught in

Posted on: 2012/11/3 0:03

Supporting Member
From Albertville
that a boy matt. and nice try there jeremy.LOL

Posted on: 2012/11/3 1:42

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page