Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: Antler Point Restriction
LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
I also hope it never goes state wide. I mostly pass on small bucks and take a doe instead, but if I wanted to shoot one, I would still like to be able to do that. I only gun hunt, so I don't have that many days to be out there.

Also, I noticed zone 3 is all at least Hunters Choice where you can shoot a doe, but lots of the state(especially SW MN) are lottery where you need a doe permit. If you didn't get a doe tag and then you had to look for a buck with 4 points on a side, this would sure decrease the average hunters chance of getting some venison.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 8:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From D.L.
i really like this idea! glad to see its working well and i believe the more that this is put in place it will show similar results.... sure some people will break the law but i believe that there will be enough law abiding hunters that it will make a difference, and the ones that break the law it will catch up to them eventually! but logically this will make for more mature bucks. in the zone i hunt we are currently coming off a intensive harvest era and are now at 1 buck only. unfortunately there have been a lot of lil guys taken so far. not sure how this will effect us but a reg like this could bring things back into swing.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 9:01

LSF Member
From Mn
I would imagine it is very hard for the DNR to come up with a season that fits all the hunters from archery to gun to the ML season.

Each group lobbies for the season they would like and then the DNR is left to come up with the best scenario for all.

Many times hunters are against the APR but after a few years, many start to see the benefit to it and then seem ok with it.

If as APR was implemented in ones area, it could make it a bit tougher the first or maybe second year to harvest a buck but after that, it would be game only and one should be harvesting larger racked deer.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 9:09

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
The other benefit i see for Southern MN is from a safety standpoint. After watching some push hunters, you see a lot of wild and unsafe shots being taken at running deer, with little to no reguard to what is beyond their targets. APR would force hunters to identify their targets first, and would reduce the number of wild shots being taken.

Personally I believe its a win for everyone involved.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 9:16

LSF Member
From St.francis
No matter what I've seen 6 Pts get shot at and seen more corpse in the wood lefted due to antler restriction.. Most people go for meat not antlers..

Posted on: 2012/11/15 9:54

LSF Member
From SW Metro & Stevens Point, WI
Im with you almost 100% JJ, although Spoonbill does bring up a good point about a lot of the area being a lottery. Just more reason to pick up a bow i guess

Posted on: 2012/11/15 10:13

LSF Member
From St. Cloud & Nisswa, MN
Quote:

bassman76 wrote:
I wish they would set that state wide.

Never will happen. The DNR is already seeing a reduction in deer hunters. Most are out for putting some venison in the freezer, not antlers on the wall.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 10:25

LSF Member
From Central MN
Quote:

Kkfisherman wrote:
No matter what I've seen 6 Pts get shot at and seen more corpse in the wood lefted due to antler restriction.. Most people go for meat not antlers..

Shooting deer and leaving them was a big fear down here when the restrictions were put into place.

I don't think that happens as much as you state down here, if that is what you are talking about. I am connected to alot of hunters in the SEMN area and not one has run across a 6 pt left to rot.

To address the "what if you mistakenly shoot a 6 pt" question. I do know a guy that did shoot one that first season of the first year it was in place. He called up the DNR (didn't want to as he was afraid he was going to lose his license), they issued a warning and confiscated the deer. As of the third year, I haven't heard too many guys shooting those 6 pts like the first year, and I do still believe alot more people are stand hunting and saving deer drives for Muzzleloader.

Like stated by others before, I don't know if this is a good management and hunter retention tool for anything north of 95, but for SEMN it seems to be working quite well.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 10:44

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
I already have too many outdoor hobbies and don't like heights, so bow hunting doesn't entice me at all.

Another option would be a 3 point per side rule. I think this would still limit alot of young bucks being killed, yet take away the fear of shooting an 8pt that turns into a 6pt when you realize it has no brow tines. I am sure there is room for options and compromises that might work in other areas.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 11:28

LSF Member
From SW Metro & Stevens Point, WI
Spoonbill I have also thought about the 3pt per side rule, I would not be against that one bit and think it would offer a little compromise between the 4pt rule and no APR at all..

Posted on: 2012/11/15 11:49

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page