Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Minaki, Ontario
LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Returned late Friday from Minaki. Had decent fishing, enough to have fish for supper 3 times and still bring fish home.

No trophy walleyes (biggest was a 21") but lots of smallies and more pike than I care to think about. Here are 2 of the larger fish: first my wife's 31" and then my 38" fish. I didn't think my fish would make it to the boat since it hit while jigging for walleyes with a 3/8 ox fireball jig & minnow on 6 lb test. That will be 20 minutes I will not soon forget.

Attach file:

jpg  P6050009.JPG (682.60 KB)
1710_466d97df0055b.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  P6040002.JPG (274.62 KB)
1710_466d97eeddc60.jpg 871X999 px

Posted on: 2007/6/11 13:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Minaki, Ontario
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes, MN
FB~
You look like Rich4Walleyes bro. Sounds like you guys did okay up there. I wish I could get back up there again but I just haven't heard much from the area the last year or two.

How is the slot this year?

Thanks for the pics and report!

Posted on: 2007/6/11 14:34

Pro Staff
From Detroit Lakes/Fergus Falls
Drove right by the turn off to Minaki on our way home: Sounds like you guys had some decent fishing, and very similar to what we experienced just a few miles south of you:
Nice pics, and report!

Posted on: 2007/6/11 15:22

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Yes, I am Rich4's younger brother. Chilly Willy is my older brother ahead of Rich.

The limits (in my opinion) are horrible. I fully appreciate the fact the Ministry is trying to protect the fishery so the slot limit they imposed (can keep walleyes only between 35-45 cm or 13.8 to 17.7 inches and 1 or 27.8 inches) is understandable. But why allow non-residents to only keep 2 fish when residents can keep 4?

They put this in place because the residents were complaining that non-residents took 80% of the fish. We are also the ones doing 80-90% of the fishing and spending the money to keep the tourism business going. Sounds like the Ministry is trying to kill off the tourism in that area.

I love going up there but it is actually cheaper now to stay in Minnesota. When I first started going about 8 years ago, I got about $1.60 Canadian for every $1.00 US. This year, it was actually dollar for dollar. That, and because of the reduced limit, is why my brothers and their group are at Cyrus Resort on Lake of the Woods. (I trade years between my family and my in-laws--this year was with my in-laws.) I am trying to convince my in-laws to try LOW sometime, but they resist since my father-in-law has been going to Minaki for nearly 30 years. The issue of getting a passport in not a factor since I will be going to Canada for Waterfowl Hunting with a buddy next fall.

I am looking forward to being at LOW next year.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 18:31

Staff Team
From Bloomington-Isle
Nice report. Thanks for sharing. Your the only brother I havent met now, you got some good bro's there! Or maybe being younger you dont think that! haha See ya later.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 19:34

LSF Member
From St. Francis
Great looking fish, Bear!!! Glad you were able to do well this year. We're looking forward to next year already..... Again, great pics.

Posted on: 2007/6/18 8:59

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes, MN
Just curious as to how the water levels were up there? My father in law is planning on heading up the end of August and he is trying to talk me into going up there again.

We had a bit of a tough go up there 2 yrs ago, but I'm confident we could do better this year if we go.

Posted on: 2007/7/6 9:21

LSF Member
From Iron Range, MN.
Nice report. That's one of the places that I've always wanted to try.

Posted on: 2007/7/7 15:01

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
I thought the water levels were pretty good this year. From where we were and where we fished, all of the normally exposed rocks/boulders were still visible.

It wasn't like the first year my brothers and I and our group when they had all the rain in the preceding 2 weeks (that was the year that Roseau & Warroad had that terrible flooding.) We got reports that the roads were closed between Fort Frances and Kenora but the water subsided by the time we went. The Winnipeg River rose all through the week we were there, although it did make for some better fishing.

Hope you decide to go. I just found out yesterday that my wife's office has booked a week up there in September at Paradise Cove Resort. We were up there the same week last year and had a blast (although I came home 2 days early for the LSF Get-Together on Mille Lacs.) Hope this year goes as well!

Posted on: 2007/7/7 16:40

LSF Member
From Longville
Nice pics and report.

It seems canada is still the place to go to catch numbers of fish. They must be doing something right.

I think the MNDNR has started to figure this out a little better. Red lake,mille lacs ect. Slots do indeed work.

anyway nice report

Posted on: 2007/7/7 18:00

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page