Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

Re: Grindstone Lake Ice Fishing
LSF Member
From East Bethel
I would love to try trout fishing there. My friend lives on the lake and I have fished it for years for Smallies. Awesome lake.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 1:17

LSF Member
From andover
Fishabass i wonder if your friend knew Carl Lovegren [now deceased]. i first met him in the early 70's. he is the guy who at one time had the state record brown trout that he caught out of the Grind.

he was quite the character. had a strong accent and a great sense of humor. when i first met him i thought he was the biggest bs'r i ever met. he would swing by with his snowmobile and in his friendly manner asked how the fishin was.

he would tell me of all the pike he caught that year and more fish stories that seemed hard to believe. well he invited me and my daughter to come over to his cabin on the lake.

there he showed me the violins he made and his collection of pics of fish [including the pic of the record brown he caught]. the brown was huge and a small stream of blood came out of it's gill plate.

he said he got it on a sucker minnow fished off the bottom. had his pole on shore near the point he lived on. Dennis Anderson [sports collumnist] did a story on him at one time. he went out with him one day and ended up with a 15 pound pike and a lot of stories.

Carl's daughter still lives on the lake i believe with her husband who i met at a meeting of the lakeowners that was held at the Audobon center. Carl didn't have fancy tackle but the guy could catch fish. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 7:12

Die young as old as possible.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

first time grindstone
LSF Member
From Stanchfield MN
Hello. Just jumped on this thread. Had no idea this lake had trout. I love fishing them. Just did it last summer on long lake and im hooked. me and a buddy wana head up and fish them this weekend. Any info would help. Bait colors ect. Thanks guys love this site

Posted on: 2013/1/16 9:29

Re: first time grindstone
LSF Member
From andover
there is a lot of information on the main Grindstone site right on top of this one. has about 8 pages or so. if you have any more questions that you cant find there PM me. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 10:58

LSF Member
From SW Metro
Quote:

Iceman26 wrote:
Well if everyone keeps talking about it on here Thier will not b a trout left in it in a couple years

Really.... This will not happen.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 11:32

Re: first time grindstone
LSF Member
From Stanchfield MN
Thanks alot, I read all the info on the othet post. Will be out early Saturday morning. 10 ft or so tryin to find a.spot

Posted on: 2013/1/16 14:04

Carl was my great-uncle. My parents own his place now. I fish from the neighbor's dock and get smallies on the inside of the weedline and nice sunfish from the outside of it. Had one big brown hit my nightcrawler earlier this summer. Saw the head come out of the water, one shake, and that was that.

I can verify that he would take his lure (usually tipped with a sucker or a frozen smelt) out to the middle of the lake and drive back to shore with his bail open and leave the pole in a rod holder where he could watch it from his rocking chair.

Posted on: 2016/9/2 18:48

LSF Member
From andover
I must of met your parents a few years ago [ I thought she was his daughter, or did they sell the house to your parents?]. I met the lady when I was giving a speech over at the Audubon Society across the lake. Lake shore owners meeting and I was invited. She invited me to stop any time there but I never did.

Carl was a nice man. Heavy accent. Made violins. My daughter played the violin and he let her play one of his. he showed me the picture of the state record brown he caught. Just like you said. Took a sucker out with his boat and dropped it off the bottom. Didn't have to go out far off his dock to get to deep water. You got a great spot to fish there, right off the dock. Have you been to the boat landing lately? Wonder how it is for getting my boat out. It was supposed to be dredged last year, hopefully this fall. good luck.

Posted on: 2016/9/3 10:04

It was almost certainly my mom that you talked to. Carl and Gunnie didn't have any kids. My parents have been involved with the Lake Association about 15 years.

My friend came up a couple of weekends ago with his 16' Lund and we had to use the trolling motor to get out from the landing. Very shallow even with all the rain we've had.

Off the dock on Saturday, I got several sunfish over 8" including one that was 9 1/2". I released them all since I didn't have a filet knife with me.

I saw a post somewhere else that you talked about a shallow spot surrounded by deep water just off the Audoban point. That was Carl's favorite spot. If you were fishing there, he'd take his boat out to try and get you off of it. He'd invite people back to the cabin for coffee or lunch or whatever he could to distract you from fishing there. He was a nice man, but he was also very protective of his fishing hole including (or maybe especially) with family. He never showed us where that spot was. That was his secret that he took to the grave.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 11:06

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Quote:

j88mph wrote:
It was almost certainly my mom that you talked to. Carl and Gunnie didn't have any kids. My parents have been involved with the Lake Association about 15 years.

My friend came up a couple of weekends ago with his 16' Lund and we had to use the trolling motor to get out from the landing. Very shallow even with all the rain we've had.

Off the dock on Saturday, I got several sunfish over 8" including one that was 9 1/2". I released them all since I didn't have a filet knife with me.

I saw a post somewhere else that you talked about a shallow spot surrounded by deep water just off the Audoban point. That was Carl's favorite spot. If you were fishing there, he'd take his boat out to try and get you off of it. He'd invite people back to the cabin for coffee or lunch or whatever he could to distract you from fishing there. He was a nice man, but he was also very protective of his fishing hole including (or maybe especially) with family. He never showed us where that spot was. That was his secret that he took to the grave.

Well there goes that secret spot. Millions of people are reading this...

Posted on: 2016/9/14 17:47

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page