Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Smoked Lake Trout Brine
LSF Member
From Brainerd/Nisswa
I have a couple of lake trout I am going to smoke up for an upcoming fishing trip to LOW just looking to see if any one has any good brine recipes. Thanks for the Ideas!!

Posted on: 2013/1/21 7:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Smoked Lake Trout Brine
LSF Member
From andover
this is a recipe i use for all smoked fish fillets. i leave the skin on.

1 cup non iodine salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 quarts water

mix up the brine. brine 6 hours. then take the fillets out and pat dry. i let them stand for about an hour and then put the fillets in the smoker for about 2 hours at 150 deg and then turn it up to 175 for an hour and a half. now the time may vary with the cold temps outside and what type of smoker you have. i have a Masterbuilt electric digital and this timeframe works for me. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 8:02

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
I do the same as reinhard,only I use kosher salt and brine for 12-24hrs,then put a smoked paperika and herb rub with brown sugar. on the flesh,smoke with maple wood

Posted on: 2013/1/21 11:10

LSF Member
I use same brine mix, kosher salt, the real dark brown sugar. Brine 12 hours, dry for 2-4 hours and smoke with Alder chips at 170-180 for no more than 5 hours.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 12:36

LSF Member
From Brainerd/Nisswa
Thanks guys I used put it in a brine last night going on the traeger when I get home from work. might take a little longer to smoke little chilly out today. Used the following for brine.
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup garlic powder
4 quarts water

Have you guys ever done like a baste on it when its finishing up to give it a little extra flavor. Was thinking of basting some with a little teriyaki and saracha to give it a kick. Thanks Again

Posted on: 2013/1/22 11:48

LSF Member
Nope,just her smoke,never used soy sauce either,i would think that would over power the smoke flavor?,no garlic either on fish,just pork.Let us know how things turn out.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 11:56

LSF Member
From andover
i have brushed salmon fillets and tullibies with real maple syrup at times the last hour of smoking. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 12:49

LSF Member
From andover
here is a slightly different brine for fish.

Grandpas Brine Recipie for Smoked Fish

10 qts water
2 3/4 cups pickling salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 T garlic salt

mix all ingreds in water till dissolved, put fish in a crock, or glass bowl and make enough brine to cover fish. large fish soak 24 to 48 hours. small pieces 12 to 24 hrs. rinse well with fresh water and dry with towel. place on racks with fan blowing on it and allow pellicle to form. 2 to 3 hours.

i like to rub a little brown sugar on meat side of fish. i generally do fillets, halves with spine on oneside, or chunks butterflied. smoke until thickest parts just begin to flake and all will be done. i smoke at lower temps till color is where i like it and then bump up heat to 250 ish till it just starts to flake. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 10:37

LSF Member
From Ramsey
I use apple juice instead of water. Works really good for me.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 10:45

LSF Member
From andover
i have also and it's a great sub for water. like you said, whatever works best for you. that's whats important. i always rub some brown sugar in the last hour or so for some in our family along with honey at times or maple syrup. i have also sprinled on some red pepper flakes on some pieces and then rubbed some turbinado sugar over that. kind of a sweet heat. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 11:15

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page