Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Favorite Walleye Bait/Presentation?
LSF Member
Hey guys-

I'm pretty fresh to the ice fishing game and need some advice. I've been searching for walleyes on Lake Osakis (near Alexandria) with marginal success. I've been fishing in well-known locales, hitting rock piles, holes, flats, etc.

I've mostly been using minnows and worms on Lindy Rattlin' Flyers, Buckshots, plain red hooks and others jigs.

What's your most tried and true method to inducing a walleye strike?

Posted on: 2013/1/24 12:06

Re: Favorite Walleye Bait/Presentation?
LSF Member
From Central MN
What minnows are you using? Water depth and time of day? Have you talked to anyone around to find out the times they are finding walleye coming in at on that lake typically?

Posted on: 2013/1/24 12:18

LSF Member
I've been using fat heads or crappie minnows. In 20-25 ft of water. Seems like they are biting right at dusk from what I have heard from other guys on the lake. They just keep saying the fish are finicky. I have fished at all hours, but haven't found a pattern.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 12:22

Try a Swedish pimple tipped with half a fathead.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 12:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Breezy Point/Plymouth
salmo chubby darter with a fathead head

Posted on: 2013/1/24 15:18

LSF Member
From Fridley
Lately I have been having my best luck with a one two punch of a 1/16 to 1/8th oz slender spoon and minnow head, and a deadstick with a shiner or the biggest fathead I can find sitting a few feet away. Jig the he** out of the spoon to get their attention, and then most of the time they end up taking the deadstick down.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 15:52

LSF Member
From Cambridge, MN at the top of the food chain
im pretty much with bioguy. use a jiggin spoon of some kind(too many good ones to name) and put the deadstick just a few feet away. if they arent seeming to hit the crappie or fathead try a shiner. i like shiners cuz the scales fall off and make it look more injured. you can use the head the tail the whole thing just keep pluggin away im sure the magic presentation for that lake will present itself to you. thats my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 16:09

I my cooler for

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
With the weather as its been. I REALLY like to use smaller spoons. Whether its a 1/16 oz buckshot or lighting spoon. The bite has been a little tougher lately so options such as using a #10 original hook w/ a dead stick can be a deadly force to recon with. When the bite picks up try the bigger spoons. slender spoon, swedish pimple, mimic minnow... All pretty good options

Posted on: 2013/1/24 16:23

LSF Member
Thanks guys for the advice! Looks like I got some new techniques to try. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 17:09

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page