Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Mille Lacs 2013 regulations
-AAA+

The Associated Press
FILED UNDER
Top Stories

GARRISON, Minn. - State fisheries officials meet with Mille Lacs Lake area residents and business owners near Garrison on Wednesday to discuss how to cut the walleye harvest this year.

State and tribal officials agreed last month to slash the maximum catch in half because of data suggesting that walleye numbers in the popular lake have dropped to a 40-year low.

The Department of Natural Resources is expected to present the Mille Lacs stakeholders group with options for how to reduce the take by hook-and-line sport anglers. DNR officials have said changes could include some combination of reduced bag limits, changes in size restrictions and ways to reduce hooking mortality.

The Ojibwe bands that exercise treaty rights to net walleyes from the lake will consider separately how to stay within their lower quota.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Posted on: 2013/2/27 9:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Mille Lacs 2013 regulations
LSF Member
From North Branch
I think a guy in the Outdoor news said it best. If the Indians really wanted to help they would net half of what they did last year which is way lower than their max quota and if they really cared it would be in the fall!! OR NOT AT ALL!!

Posted on: 2013/2/27 10:04

LSF Member
From North Shore of Lake Mille Lacs/Leech Lake
Quote:

twinsterritory wrote:
I think a guy in the Outdoor news said it best. If the Indians really wanted to help they would net half of what they did last year which is way lower than their max quota and if they really cared it would be in the fall!! OR NOT AT ALL!!

EXACTLY!! "or not at all" " if they really cared"!

Posted on: 2013/2/27 10:10
sf1954@embarqmail.com

Quote:
DNR officials have said changes could include some combination of reduced bag limits, changes in size restrictions and ways to reduce hooking mortality.

quote]

When a guy has to catch 50 fish to keep 4, there are going to be some floaters. I dont mind the bag limit dropping to 2, but if we end up with a 2 or 3 inch harvest slot you are not going to do much to reduce C&R mortality.

From the Strib article on this meeting:

Rumored this year is the possibility that the DNR could impose a two-walleye limit with a 2-inch harvest slot, perhaps 18 to 20 inches, 20 to 22 inches, or 22 to 24 inches.

I would like see a protected slot of 21"-28". My

Posted on: 2013/2/27 10:19

LSF Member
From West side
In my opinion the lake has been mismanaged for years. Forget about the netting we know it's killing the lake but our DNR has done a terrible job. I have fished Rainy lake on the Canadian side for over 30 years & seen the quality go through many cycles from great to poor. Once they put on a slot of approximately 14" to 18" the fishing improved every year after. Our DNR tried to create a trophy lake by not protecting the smaller fish. I am so disappointed in the people that are supposed to be protecting our natural resources.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 11:19

LSF Member
From North Shore of Lake Mille Lacs/Leech Lake
It has never been the intent of the Mn. DNR nor has it ever been discussed, that Lake Mille Lacs become a "trophy" lake.

The reason, soley, the slot limits as we know them the past 13 years, were put into place were to keep the sport fishery under the court manated poundage quota--all to accomodate the netting harvest. Period.

In fact....slot limits in general, now are being ( and have been for about two-three years) questioned by fishery managers as long term, the regs are creating problems for other lakes as well as Lake Mille Lacs. Leech being one example.

So you are right. Lake Mille Lacs has been mis-managed in the netting era. Before the nets, there was no protected slot limit as we know them the past few years. In 1984 and through 1998, "one over 20" was the reg and for all those years, the walleye population was relatively stable per the 30-40 year previous stats.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 12:51
sf1954@embarqmail.com

LSF Member
The average survival rate for ML walleyes is 5-8% of the eggs making it one year, that boils down to 1300 baby walleyes per lb of spawning female, so for every 2lb female netted 2600 babys end up in the net. Plus the males that don't have time to fertilize the eggs. I ain't no rocket scientist but natural reproduction probably takes a major hit. We need our State officials pushing to right this wrong in court. I seem to remember with Red Lake, official response "no problems on Red Lake", it was closed the next year. All the politicians contact info can be found at perm.org, contact them ASAP.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 17:46

LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
The trouble with a slot is that you are targeting a single year class. The reason that walleyes have thrived on this lake for thousands of years before the Chippewa came is that there always remained a balance of year classes.
The walleye is a cannibal. It will eat its young when there aren't perch available or other forage. So without a balance of year classes, the population becomes lop-sided on the bad end. Like we have happening right now.
The only thing that makes sense is to make it two fish any size.

And stop this STUPID gill-netting during the reproductive cycle!

How dumb............

Posted on: 2013/2/27 18:03

LSF Member
let people take the northerns they are the real culprit they eat all the perch and alot of 12 inch walleyes

Posted on: 2013/2/27 18:20

LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
Don't forget the smallmouth explosion on Mille Lacs either. They love perch AND walleye.

I'm tellin' ya, there's a balance here you just can't mess with.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 19:13

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page