From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Reinhard-

Have you ever tried a mustard based sauce??? It is delicious

Posted on: 2013/3/7 15:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: The Rib Thread
LSF Member
From andover
honestly i have tried some with mustard in them but not as a primary ingredient so i realy cant give an honest answer. i think mustard is a great ingredient in sauces. here is how i handle mustard on my ribs [and butts]. the first thing i do with some ribs [depending on the crowd] is smear mustard on my ribs prior to putting on the rub if i'm going to make it on the spicy're side and mustard and grape jelly mixed if i'm going to make some on the sweeter side, and then put on the rub as i said in an earlier post.

we all dont have the same taste's so i'm sure this thread will help giving folks many ideas. you made me think [because i am a fan of mustard] of [just for the heck of it] to adjust my favorite sauce to :

one cup ketchup
one cup mustard
one cup western dressing
and apple juice until it gets saucy for mopping

heat and mop

well, only one way to find out . if it dont work out, nothing is lost, if it is an improvment i can have two sauces to work with . i may or may not have to adjust the mustard to less or a tad more . we will see. whatever i make first chicken or ribs i will try it. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 16:23

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From Linwood, MN
I usually pull the membrane off and use Mary's rub for my seasoning. It can be purchased from a local company that sell great stuff. www.dipstix.com. I smoke mine on a big green egg. I usually coat the lean side with olive oil and then the rub dry seasoning. For the membrane side, I coat with yellow mustard, than coat with the dry rub. I try to keep the temp around 225 degrees and it takes around 3 hrs. For moisture I use a mixture of 50/50 mixture of apple juice and jack daniels and mist every so often. If you like saucy ribs, I add the sauce with about 10-15 minutes left...I actually like Sweet Baby Ray's original.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 16:28

LSF Member
From andover
i love it, apple juice and whiskey. awesome idea!! yes, the most important reason the membrane should be pulled is so the flavors of the rub [seasonings] and the sauce [ heck, whatever you put on] can be absorbed on both sides of the meat. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 16:34

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Yes whiskey apple juice mist is GENIUS!!! and Rienhard it was bugging me so bad about the mustard recipe so I had to text my mom and got it, and yeah it's the primary ingrdient haha...here you go, its very simple so if ppl would like you can throw it on a small rack (big racks in every category are always better imo ) to try

3/4 cup yellow mustard (ive tried and preferred jaleno infused)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup apple vineger
2 tbs ketchup
1 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp worceteshire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce

Enjoy if you try it!

Posted on: 2013/3/7 16:44

LSF Member
From andover
Cabuzz, of course i will try it, i'm always looking for something new. keep in mind since this is one sauce that you favor, try it as a finisher for pulled pork also. i put my sauces in those cheap plastic containers you can get at wallyworld with cone shaped tops that ketchup or mustard is normaly stored in. just squeeze some on and your in buisness. thanks for the reciepe. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 16:56

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
Great info everyone. I always rub my butts with mustard then the dry rub. It seems to add a little extra something and make the rub stick. I can't wait to try some sauce this spring.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 8:04

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner

LSF Member
From White Bear Lake
Early one smoking season I forgot to get apple juice when I picked up my ribs. However I did have 1 liter of "Apple Pie" left.

For those that don't know, Apple Pie is as followed

1 liter of Everclear alcohol
1 gallon of apple juice
1 gallon of apple cider
2 cups of brown sugar
2 cups of sugar
5 or 6 cinnamon stix

boil everything BUT and I do mean BUT the everclear until the cinnamon stix get soft. Let cool THEN add the Everclear.

BOOM, Nailed it.

Back to the ribs.

With much reluctance I poured the "Apple Pie" into my sprayer. I will say this, every rack of ribs since has been misted upon with hourly shots of "Apple Pie". It makes them really sparkle in the sun. The rub I make has a little kick to it so the sweetness of the spray is a nice contrast.

Attach file:

jpg  11121_4e77fe6970987.jpg (745.23 KB)
11121_5139ea26f2faa.jpg 2000X1500 px

Posted on: 2013/3/8 8:35

LSF Member
From White Bear Lake
Quote:

freighttrain50 wrote:
I will be smoking my first few racks of ribs when the snow melts and am curious if people like smoking them with a rub on them or saucing them as they smoke? I usually do my pork butts and briscuits with a rub but am definately open to some saucy ribs.

Give them a nice dry rub before smoking forsure. Sauce them up with a hour to go then again with 1/2 hour left.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 8:59

LSF Member
From andover
Great lookin ribs there BP!!. guess you can spray some of that apple pie in your mouth occationaly while giving some goodness on the ribs .

the thing about using alcohol in cooking, it's good to remember that it evaporates when heated. it can tenderize meat, but more in a marinade than in the cooking process. beer for example containes enzymes that breakdown tough fibers in meat. beer, wine, brandy, whiskey ect. can also add flavor.

i dont think the alcohol in a apple/juice brandy spray for example evaporates that quickly however because your spraying in the last half hour to an hour of the rib process and doing so often while turning the slabs over. i could be wrong.

i did some research on fruits that help in tenderizing meat and i found something interesting that us apple juice sprayers might think about and try.

pineapplejuice!! pineapples contain bromelin which breaks down collagen. it's also very good for you. so i will give this a try also. one slab sprayed with apple/brandy juice and one with pineapple/brandy juice.

i will also try pineapple juice in my sauce i mentioned above. what do you guy's think? good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 9:17

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 20 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page