Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Spring walleye
LSF Member
From Bemidji
Hi guys. I am new to the Bemidji area. I moved up here in February and now am a nurse at Sanford. I stumbled upon this site the other day and it looks very helpful. I do not have a boat at this time, but am already looking forward to the walleye season already. I was just wondering if there was any spots to fish from shore around walleye opener that would be worth a shot? I have waders and a car so any help would be great.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 21:27

Re: Spring walleye
LSF Member
You could go up to Red lake there are a few spots where rivers come out where you can get some nice eyes they move up the river to spawn. You can fish from shore there I have not been there but some people I know go there. in Bemidji I would look at the river come in and out of the lake like I said the walleyes go there to spawn. Welcome to the site lots of nice people on here, plus you can learn a lot from them plus we can learn from you welcome!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/20 21:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Try this site to it is MN DNR recreation compass it shows every lake in the state with all the info and all the maps.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html

Posted on: 2013/3/20 21:53

LSF Member
From North Central MN
Years ago when I went to BSU we fished off of Diamond point and the inlet to Lake Bemidji for the Mississippi on the south end. We had good luck for eyes casting Lindy rigs with a minnow or leech. We also would cast smaller crank baits that also worked well. Also check with the local DNR fisheries office and see if they have suggestions for shore fishing. Good Luck on the opener!

Posted on: 2013/3/21 7:02

LSF Member
From Richmond/Blackduck Mn
you are welcome to join me and my family on Blackduck for the opener or anytime we have a cabin there and are there most weekends PM if interested

Posted on: 2013/3/21 9:12

LSF Member
From Isanti, MN
The power dam between Andrusia and Cass was always good around opener, when I was growing up.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 10:01

If fishing were easy, it would be called "YOUR MOM".

Pro Staff
From Brainerd, MN
Just on Lake Bemidji itself you can catch plenty from shore, especially if you have waders. Like mentioned, the channel between Irving and Bemidji gets a lot of walleyes moving through it on opener but it also attracts a lot of anglers.

You can also wade just about any of the shallow shorelines and catch fish, especially after dark. Diamond Point was mentioned, but also north and south of the Northwoods access on the northwest side of the lake will have walleyes in the shallows. Shallow diving crankbaits (floating Raps, Husky Jerks and the like), jig/minnow, jig/plastic, even live bait rigs or float rigs would all catch fish.

We once did a spring walleye count all night around the entire shoreline one spring. We saw A LOT of fish, many in water only a foot or two deep. So, don't be discouraged not having a boat, there is still plenty of fish to be caught. The same thing would work for many, many lakes up there. Good luck and welcome to the site!

Posted on: 2013/3/21 13:11

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quote:

AdamJohnson wrote:
Just on Lake Bemidji itself you can catch plenty from shore, especially if you have waders. Like mentioned, the channel between Irving and Bemidji gets a lot of walleyes moving through it on opener but it also attracts a lot of anglers.

You can also wade just about any of the shallow shorelines and catch fish, especially after dark. Diamond Point was mentioned, but also north and south of the Northwoods access on the northwest side of the lake will have walleyes in the shallows. Shallow diving crankbaits (floating Raps, Husky Jerks and the like), jig/minnow, jig/plastic, even live bait rigs or float rigs would all catch fish.

Did this for a few yrs while my buddy was at BSU, came over from the cabin after hitting Leech in the day and focused on hitting these areas at night when the pressure was down. We always used shallow crankbaits, X-raps are awesome and you can fan cast and cover a lot of water this way. Not too familiar with the lake but both yrs caught a good amount of our fish between the channel of Bemidji and Irving, after it slowed down.....we moved over to what you said was Northwoods access area and had fairly good luck as well. It's a fun way to fish and actually kind of a underrated way to target walleyes early in the season

Posted on: 2013/3/21 13:39

LSF Member
From Bemidji
Welcome to LSF! The channel between bemidji would be my top shore spot.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 19:38

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Like others have said between Bemidji and Irving is an easy place to start. Casting jigs with plastics or crank baits should yeild you resluts.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:10

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page