Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

North Shore Salmon and Trout run.
LSF Member
From minneapolis
Hoping to head to the North shore in early May. Does anyone out there have any idea as to when the trout and Salmon start their spring run ? Years past I would go camping in mid to late May and have always been told, Oh you just missed the run last week ! Hoping to get to the Baptism river. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 15:05

Re: North Shore Salmon and Trout run.
LSF Member
From minneapolis
Wow, I can believe nobody knows...

Posted on: 2013/3/30 21:31

LSF Member
From Stillwater,Minnesota
Steelhead generally run once the rivers have blown out, so there really isn't a definite timeline. Last year there were fish in every system by the third week of March, the year before they started running in the third week of April. Remember to fish below the terminal falls. Salmon run in the fall, starting with Pinks in Late August/Early September. If I were you, I'd check DNR creel reports on the website before I headed up.
Good Luck

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:00

LSF Member
From Knife River/North Shore
Well the ice out front of my house 2 miles north of the French is gone this morning thanks to the NW winds over night and all day today. The temps have dropped for the next 3 days and that has stopped or slowed the melt. Yesterday there was some water starting to show up on top of the frozen snow covered rivers. So the next week or two will tell.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 8:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From minneapolis
This is the kind of info I was looking for ! A big thank you to the both of you. I'll probably go up the first week of May and see whats happening. ( or the last week of April)

Posted on: 2013/3/31 8:31

LSF Member
From andover
keep an eye on these north shore threads for information. i know i'll be going when my brother who lives in Duluth gives me the word that loopers have started to come in. it all depends on the weather and the amount of rainfall also. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 8:45

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
From Central MN
The initial push should be in a week or 2 depending on the weather. May would be too late in most years. This years peak will probably be the 3rd weekend in April because of the late spring, but this can change in a hurry. As of right now all the streams are full of ice. They are getting some Loopers at the lower stream mouths as the lake is open. In 2010 my best weekend was like the 2nd weekend in March. The stream flows depend on run-off to trigger the fish. It will be great this year with all the snow. Give it 7-14 days and it will be on!

Salmon is a fall thing and in the streams Kings and Coho can be tough to find; very tough, but Pinks will be in almost every stream. The 1st to 2nd week in September is usually the intial push for them comming "fresh" out of the lake (the only time you'd want to eat one), but you can get em' for a couple months starting in September. After the 2nd weekend or so they deteriorate quickly and you can still get them, but you wouldn't want to eat one then! The swimming dead!

Posted on: 2013/4/4 1:11

LSF Member
From Duluth, MN
Rivers are still Froze, a good 12" of Snow & another storm coming Sunday. MIght be a couple weeks still. The Loopers are near shore though. Ive been out & caught fish. If you cant fish the river, you can fish the mouth near them & theres fish swimming around.

Attach file:

jpg  IMAG0170.jpg (1,263.03 KB)
17434_51686b41379b6.jpg 3264X1952 px

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:12

LSF Member
From andover
Welcome to LSF!! Those are some real nice loopers!! good luck.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:17

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
From North Metro MN
Quote:

buzz1ng wrote:
Rivers are still Froze, a good 12" of Snow & another storm coming Sunday. MIght be a couple weeks still. The Loopers are near shore though. Ive been out & caught fish. If you cant fish the river, you can fish the mouth near them & theres fish swimming around.

buzz1ng.
what are you using for bait?

Posted on: 2013/4/14 14:48

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page