Resorts & Lodging
Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Enough about the river....Lake conditions/fishing reports?
LSF Member
From NW Wi.
I know it's exciting to see open water, especially after this winter. But from what i've been hearing it's not so hot on the river.? But what i have been hearing is that the fishing is really picking up on the lake. Has anyone else been doing any good on the lake or heard of someone that has?

Posted on: 2013/4/4 13:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Enough about the river....Lake conditions/fishing reports?
I agree!! its been a good week since we have got any updates... is it a slushy mess out there like I imagine? hows the walleye bite off pine island? is any one getting any big pike anywhere? any info would be great, headed up tomorrow through Monday.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 17:31

LSF Member
I was thinking the same thing...how is the lake doing with the fishing report as well as ice conditions. I just got off the phone with a buddy who's been on the river for the last 2 days (including today) and he told me it sucked. He did not see a walleye caught until around noon and their boat did less than 10. He also told me it's a nuthouse at the landing with 2 hour waits because the county in its wisdom only opened one lane at Birchdale. He even thought the guys pushing over ice were waiting forever at Frontier.

I would like to know an over-all ice report. Is it just the road areas that are a mess or is the whole lake filled with slush? Are atv's not an option? Is it sleds only? Any current response would be great!! Is the bite as bad as it has been most of the winter on the lake??

A conflicted weekend warrior...

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:30

LSF Member
Went out at Babblers today. His road is open to four wheelers and snowmobiles and I can see why, its a mess. The water and slush was frozen but looked to be about 8-10" deep if you went in. Went to gull rock and alittle North and caught 4 walleyes and 1 sauger. Fishing was slow but caught very nice fish, 1/19", 2/17", and 1/13" walleye, and the sauger was 15". All in all not many fish but really nice ones. When I set up thought I was in 29' of water (gps on the phone), then turned on the vexilar and was in 23' of water. Still worked out for me anyway. Going up again on Friday also. Hope that helps someone thinking about going out.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:53

LSF Member
A friend of mine fished the " sandy shores" area last night and caught 7 walleyes in the hour he was there. They ranged from13-19 inches. He says he was in about 17 fow. He's out there right now but I haven't heard from him yet this morning.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 8:32

LSF Member
From God's green Earth.
The snow pack has shrunk just a tad, and when the temp is below 32 the hard crust on the surface will keep you on top with your sleds. Honestly, sled travel is still the only way I'd go off-road anywhere right now.

We were up at the far east end of Long Point yesterday and fishing was really good! I'd venture we easily caught 50+ fish, however only 11 keepers. No big fish.

Funny thing. We set one tip-up out in front of our portable about 20 yards straight out the front door, to the east of us, hoping we might snag a wayward big pike out in deeper water. There wasn't a single other fishermen to the east of us for as far as we could see.

As we watched, two sleds with portables came slowly gliding across the lake from the southeast. They had literally hundreds of thousands of square miles of lake to drive, but one sled chose to drive right over the top of our tip-up. Without even realizing it was there, he snagged the tip-up on his sled ski, and continued driving along as though nothing had happened, dragging the tip-up along with him. Pulled the line up from the water, snagging the trebles on the bottom of the ice and snapping the line like a gunshot!

I think we would have been pretty upset, but the odds of this happening were so near impossible, all we could do was laugh! We actually laughed hard and long! They just kept on driving slowly across the lake and disappeared off to destinations unknown. We found the tip-up only a short distance from where he'd snagged it and dragged it along. Only the flag was bent, and the rig missing. Sometimes, all you can do is laugh.

Haven't heard much for reports anywhere else. There were very few people out yesterday that we could see. We originally planned to go out of the Swift Ditch landing, but there appeared to be quite a lot of water under a surface of sheet ice, and I was a little nervous about getting hung up in there so opted for Long Point.

Fishing was fast and furious with consistent flurries of saugers and small walleyes aggressively hitting baits, but again, many, many small fish.

There is a notable absence of solid keeper fish around. In a typical year we would have caught several more nice bucket fish, yesterday. But this certainly hasn't been a typical year.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 10:41

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quote:

CanopySam wrote:

"As we watched, two sleds with portables came slowly gliding across the lake from the southeast. They had literally hundreds of thousands of square miles of lake to drive, but one sled chose to drive right over the top of our tip-up. Without even realizing it was there, he snagged the tip-up on his sled ski, and continued driving along as though nothing had happened, dragging the tip-up along with him. Pulled the line up from the water, snagging the trebles on the bottom of the ice and snapping the line like a gunshot!

I think we would have been pretty upset, but the odds of this happening were so near impossible, all we could do was laugh! We actually laughed hard and long! They just kept on driving slowly across the lake and disappeared off to destinations unknown. We found the tip-up only a short distance from where he'd snagged it and dragged it along. Only the flag was bent, and the rig missing. Sometimes, all you can do is laugh."

Hahaha amazing how some ppl can be so oblivious, sounds like you guys handled it well and got many laughs out of it, definetely will be a story to bring up through out the yrs for some more kicks....by all the reports it has been a little slower, glad you guys got on some action!

Posted on: 2013/4/5 10:50

LSF Member
From 1 of the 10,000 lakes
fished long point wed and thur 4 people kept 25 walleye sauger 2 perch 5 tullys around 100 fish total for the 2 days pretty decent action lots of smalls though the future looks bright roads were still in good shape off road travel snocat only

Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:03

Just got home from LOW yesterday, tried for pike Friday in 4 mile bay. Is a good place if you like catching 20-30 inchers. not for me. As for walleyes talk about frustrating. tried in front of pine island from 13-30 feet. Very little luck a few small saugers and a few little walleyes. Ventured over to long point with the same scenario. 1 walleye in 3 hours. We managed to try morris gap in 15 FOW with good action. saugers/walleyes from 5-9 inches. 2 pike that were fat 32s., We managed to get a 25 inch walleye as well. In 3 days between 4 of us we kept 4 walleyes and 6 sauger. Completely opposite from last yr as we averaged 40+ fish per person a day. defiantly going to the river next yr from what I was seeing in the fish cleaning houses. As for ice theres plenty, people are still pulling wheel houses off long point and driving trucks from morris to pine island. If you get off the trail you better have tracks!

Posted on: 2013/4/9 14:25

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page