Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Smelting 2013
LSF Member
From andover
Lispeej was up there yesterday and only got a handfull before the waves picked up on the Park Point Beach and they had to stop. so they are out there but i think next week will be a good one there depending on the wind. the temps look great. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 8:20

Die young as old as possible.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Pro Staff
From Duluth
With the temps forecasted, I would guess the end of next week should get them going pretty good. Seems like this Spring has been delayed forever. About time!

Good luck smelters! Let us know how you do. I don't plan on dragging any nets this year.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 8:31

LSF Member
From andover
Skinny, i lived in Duluth during the hayday's of the smelt kingdom in the rivers, especialy the Lester. my brother still lives there but doesn't smelt much. we normaly get enough to eat catching them through the ice now.

I told Lispeej about the days we smelted at the end of Park Point on the harbor side never on the lake side. do they still net on the harbor side near the boat landing but up closer to the airport area? we always got all we needed there. thanks. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 9:51

LSF Member
From Stillwater, MN/Danbury, WI
In the past 5 years haven't seen anybody get any smelt on the harbor side.

As far as the old smelt run of the 70's there are some pockets of smelt in Superior that come to shore that rival any smelt run of years back.

If you want to see a video of one such run from 2011 PM me, I'd post the youtube video but my friend got a little excited and swore a couple times and know this sight not only frowns down on posting links but also swearing...

As far as smelting this year last Wednesday we went up to Park Point and 4 of us got 6 8 gallon pails fill near the top. We went up to the Ashland/Washburn area Friday night and didn't do so well... Guessing with the ice in the bay still in spots it's too cold.

Got a couple guys scouting out on an inland lake and no smelt sightings to date...

Posted on: 2013/5/5 8:42

LSF Member
From andover
thanks for the information. I'll pm you for the film clip. back in the 60's and 70's it was the harbor side we went after smelt with great results. probably never thought of going on the beach side. it was near the parking area, where people park to go to the beach. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 9:31

Pro Staff
From Duluth
Quote:

Reinhard wrote:
Skinny, i lived in Duluth during the hayday's of the smelt kingdom in the rivers, especialy the Lester. my brother still lives there but doesn't smelt much. we normaly get enough to eat catching them through the ice now.

I told Lispeej about the days we smelted at the end of Park Point on the harbor side never on the lake side. do they still net on the harbor side near the boat landing but up closer to the airport area? we always got all we needed there. thanks. good luck.

Last year on a real windy day there were a half dozen groups trying in the harbor by the airport. We walked around and BSed with all of them. One group had a single smelt in the pail. It was a nice one!, but that was the lone smelt that we saw on that night anyway. We shot out to the main lake and fought the waves for about 10 pulls and gathered up 200 dozen. That was the best I have ever seen personaly.

I've only lived here for 13 yrs, and only smelted about every other year, but I have never seen many people in the harbor side, except for a few on real windy days. And at least for that night, it didn't seen to be worth the effort over there.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 9:36

LSF Member
From andover
well back in the day's we had better numbers of smelt also. who knows if we went on the beach back then maby we couln't even lift the nets with so many smelt. we did go to the Lester and even Chester creek back then more often and it was just crazy with smelt. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 10:05

LSF Member
From North Metro MN
the smelt run has started.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 23:31

LSF Member
From North Metro MN
sorry for the late post,
Was out at the end of park point Sunday night from 1030pm-200am. Got about 15 Gallons of smelt.
Left at 200am eventhough they were still running. Had to work the next day.
Good luck

Attach file:

jpg  smelt (1).jpg (6.86 KB)
19996_518885799f0b8.jpg 221X166 px

Posted on: 2013/5/6 23:38

LSF Member
From East Central,MN
Awesome, Ive always wanted to get up there and try smelting.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 23:45
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page