Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 »

Jerk Chicken
LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
a few yrs back I had the chance to visit Jamaica and was introduced to authentic Jerk chicken/ pork....amazing to say the least

After that trip I have seen it in many restaraunts or wing places like bww and its never the same or even close for that matter. I had been doing some research and tried a few recipes and belieive I found one close as I can get to the real thing.

There is still a smoking/ cooking process that I was not able to replicate, if you could do this you would have the authntic recipe

I used a about a 3lb package of chicken legs but breast, thighs, or even a full chicken cut up works

Marinade:

All Spice- 2 Tbsp
fresh thyme- 2 Tbsp
fresh ginger- 3 tsp
Sugar- 2 Tbsp
Salt- 2 Tbsp
Pepper- 1 Tbsp
nutmeg- 2 tsp
cinnamon- 2 tsp
Garlic- 8 cloves chopped
Scotch Bonnet Peppers- (substituted with Habenero) peppers- 3
White onions- 2 chopped
Scallions- 1 bundle chopped
soy sauce- 1/2 cup
white vingegar- 1/2 cup
olive oil- 1/2 cup
Juice from
orange- 2
lime-1
lemon-1

Blended all ingredients than threw in ziploc bags with chicken to marindae 24 hours overnight, turned out very good and the char on chicken was tasty. I would recommend this one for the grill this summer. I like spicy food and with the (3) habaneros I didnt think it was that spicy, Bonnets and habaneros are very similiar from what i understand and the recipe called for 8 so I had far less than they called for. Next time I will add 1 or 2 to see but Serranos would work for those who like less spice and even jalapenos but I think it would just be too bland that way and not authetic

For cooking the authentic way calls to be grilled over charcoal and wood chips from Pimenot wood which also produces the All spice berry in seasoning(This is the main ingrediant). They then put metal grate over fire and place the logs of the pimento wood on there placing chicken on wood to acquire the smoke and oils produced. they cover this with a metal to sheet to slowly grill. Im going to see if I can locate this type of wood and wood chips to see if I can get it even closer

Posted on: 2013/4/22 10:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Jerk Chicken
LSF Member
From Pelican Rapids MN
You're right, best jerk in the would in Negril, JA. Nothing beats jerk on the street, cooked on a old 55 gallon drum grill, the islands charcoal and scotch bonnets are a big key to the flavor. My cousin is a chef, and says the "Jamaica experience" isn't around when you eat this, and it effects the taste too.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 11:11

LSF Member
From andover
Thanks for the recipe Buzz!! i like spicy food myself and i will try it. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 11:33

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From South Metro
If you don't want to buy all the ingredients I would suggest this marinade/paste. Mix in some teriyaki and soy sauce and you are good to go. You can experiment with other ingredients as you go. I like to add a little grape jelly to get that sweet/hot flavor.

Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning

Attach file:

jpeg  yhst-10808672951810_2207_74572787_large.jpeg (45.43 KB)
23171_517576804d88b.jpeg 300X400 px

Posted on: 2013/4/22 12:44

LSF Member
From Hastings MN, Siren WI
You should check out http://www.smalleyspiratebbq.com/
It is located in Stillwater. Great food and a fun place to eat. They smoke their food with the Pimento Wood.
They were featured on the Food Network (Divers, Drive Inns and Dives). You can check out the show on YouTube. Just do a quick search.

As far as getting the Pimento wood, I have gotten it from www.bbqs.com It's alittle costly, but if you want the real deal...well you got to try it.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 16:19

LSF Member
Quote:

TopWaterTroy wrote:
You should check out http://www.smalleyspiratebbq.com/
It is located in Stillwater. Great food and a fun place to eat. They smoke their food with the Pimento Wood.
They were featured on the Food Network (Divers, Drive Inns and Dives). You can check out the show on YouTube. Just do a quick search.

As far as getting the Pimento wood, I have gotten it from www.bbqs.com It's alittle costly, but if you want the real deal...well you got to try it.

Smalley's hands down has the BEST Jerk I've had around here...their sutff is delicious.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 16:37

LSF Member
From Mn
CABuzz thanks EH! I do have all the ingredients and love jerk!! I think with any spicey dishes in MN they tone them down for the midwesterners tastebuds.
This will be on the BBQ when the snows goes away!!!!

Posted on: 2013/4/22 17:22

LSF Member
From Longville
I don't really care for really hot food but this jerk stuff sounds good. How hot is it?

Posted on: 2013/4/22 18:50

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quote:

Outdoorsman365 wrote:
I don't really care for really hot food but this jerk stuff sounds good. How hot is it?

I really don't think its too hot, its has a nice bite that compliments the other flavors....wont leave the burning taste in your mouth like some hot sauces. If you substituted serranos instead I would for sure say it would be good to go

and thanks for all the feedback. Pelrapper I figured the bonnet peppers and actual charcoal would give it that extra flavor....did a little research and I might have found a place where I can get both otherwise I will be ordering from that site Topwatertroy, also live in STP so Smallies is just up the road from me. I will for sure be giving it a shot this summer, thanks!

Posted on: 2013/4/23 9:21

LSF Member
Great recipe Caughtabuzz thanks for posting! It was such a hit with the family made it twice in the last week. I too fell in love with jerk chicken after going to Jamaica but never thought about making it until you posted this recipe. I used 5 habaneros and 1 jalapeno as I like spicy food. It actually was not that hot. In college I would eat at a little bar in St. Paul off of selby and dale called the Muddy Pig. They had some great Jamaican jerk wings and the one thing I loved was they served them with a yogurt dipping sauce. The last time I was there several years ago they no longer served the yogurt sauce and I was bummed. Any way when I decided to make these I looked up a yogurt sauce recipe and this is the one that I used.
1 cup plain yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
1 tbsp minced coriander
1 tbsp minced scallion/green onion
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
Salt to taste
I recommend anyone who makes the jerk chicken try it with this yogurt sauce. It cools down the spice and is awesome. The reason I made the chicken twice is because I had left over sauce and the wife said I had to make it again so we didn't waste the sauce:)

walternator

Posted on: 2013/4/30 20:37

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page