Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Jerk Chicken
LSF Member
From andover
O247 that recipe sound excelent as well. going to do Buzz's corn today and will try yours also. I like that combo you got there. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 10:28

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

I make jerk chicken a couple of times a year. It's pretty similar to the recipe by CaughtABuzz, but drop sugar, soy, white vinegar, orange, and lemon; add rum, molasses, and malt vinegar. I marinate a whole chicken and cook indirect on the grill with charcoal and hardwood for about 1.5-2 hours.

For sides I usually make fried plantains and beans and rice.

Here's a rum punch recipe I use for drinks:

First I make grenadine using 2 parts pomegranate juice and 1 part sugar, boiled/simmered down until syrupy.

Rum Punch:
1 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz grenadine
2 oz Myer's Rum
dash bitters

I mix the above in a highball glass, top off with soda water, and then stir. You can adjust the lime/grenadine proportions depending on if you like it more sweet or tart.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 13:37

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quote:

outdoors247 wrote:
That chicken looks very good CaughtABuzz! I will have to try your scratch recipe one of these days. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread with the Walkerswoods seasoning post. It's nice to see others that enjoy Jerk Chicken!

No here....That seasoning looks like a good alternative. Even if I dont grab some I will use the pasta recipe you do for some of the leftovers I have next time, sounds really good

Quote:

D-Train wrote:
I make jerk chicken a couple of times a year. It's pretty similar to the recipe by CaughtABuzz, but drop sugar, soy, white vinegar, orange, and lemon; add rum, molasses, and malt vinegar. I marinate a whole chicken and cook indirect on the grill with charcoal and hardwood for about 1.5-2 hours.

For sides I usually make fried plantains and beans and rice.

Here's a rum punch recipe I use for drinks:

First I make grenadine using 2 parts pomegranate juice and 1 part sugar, boiled/simmered down until syrupy.

Rum Punch:
1 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz grenadine
2 oz Myer's Rum
dash bitters

I mix the above in a highball glass, top off with soda water, and then stir. You can adjust the lime/grenadine proportions depending on if you like it more sweet or tart.

I have seen that recipe as well after I looked up the original one, might have to tweak next time and try that. Rum never hurts anything right???? well maybe roommate in college haha, Will be giving the the punch a try as well. Good way to tie it all together

Who would have thought a jerk chicken thread in MN would get so much buzz, Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/16 13:54

LSF Member
From South Metro
Quote:
Who would have thought a jerk chicken thread in MN would get so much buzz, Thanks for all the input guys!!!

No kidding.. I have introduced this seasoning/spice to many people and it's usually a hit.

I never had the opportunity to make it tp Jamacia but my sister and BIL went down there yearly for about 10 years in a row. They always brought back some of the Walkerswoods spice as they said it was the closest spice to the really stuff used at the smoke shacks along the road. I have used this spice in many recipes. It's makes some very good hot wings when marinated in teriyaki and brown sugar and then cooked on a smoker.

Ok.... it's official now with all of this talk. I'm making Jerk Chicken on the smoker this Sunday.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 8:38

LSF Member
From andover
I made Buzz's corn side dish yesterday and i subsituted anaheim peppers because they are milder [for the gals in the house] i love it hotter but still this was a hit and we will make it often. this is my wifes plate with a simple cheese burger yesterday. good luck.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0006.jpg (2,036.48 KB)
11771_5196944639809.jpg 1792X1192 px

Posted on: 2013/5/17 15:34

LSF Member
Mine as well give this one a bump....my favorite recipe for Chicken. Grilling Season is coming!

Posted on: 3/31 10:54:57

LSF Member
From andover
Thanks Buzz!!! good luck.

Posted on: 3/31 11:14:39

Staff Team
Thanks Buzz for putting both great posts back up to the top and give our members a chance to go through it and use some of these great recipes.............Kirk

Posted on: 3/31 11:41:10

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
we were in Jamaica this February and loved the jerk chicken. I was just thinking about trying to make some this weekend just last night, what a coincidence that I happened upon this thread. Looks like a great recipe, thanks for sharing I hope to try it out soon!

Posted on: 3/31 13:57:26

LSF Member
Quote:

lurkingwalter wrote:
we were in Jamaica this February and loved the jerk chicken. I was just thinking about trying to make some this weekend just last night, what a coincidence that I happened upon this thread. Looks like a great recipe, thanks for sharing I hope to try it out soon!

Nice a recent pallet to the real deal....pimento wood is the icing on the cake to make it authentic, i know it can be ordered online or Ive gotten it at Kitchen window....little spendy but the bag last a while.

Low and slow with smoke and then direct heat at the end to get a good char.

Posted on: 3/31 15:23:30

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page