Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

No Wake Zone/Targeting Bass
LSF Member
From Anoka, MN
I got out yesterday on the Rum in Anoka County to fish from shore. I was searching for Crappie in the down trees along the banks.

I was really disappointed seeing 3 boats go ripping by on full plane near the Anoka County Fair Grounds. This is a NO Wake Zone. It is very clearly posted at the ramp.The No wake zone extends north of the fair grounds by a couple of miles.This is in place to protect the shoreline of this great river.

Adding to my disappointment was seeing anglers clearly targeting Smallmouth Bass out of season. I do not buy you are targeting Crappie with your 7' heavy rod with bait casting reel, throwing Senkos and crankbaits.

Next outing I will have my cell phone with me with TIP and Anoka County Sheriff's Department on speed dial.

For the couple of boats that I saw doing everything the right way, I hope you enjoyed your time on the water. Great day to be out.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 8:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: No Wake Zone/Targeting Bass
LSF Member
From Blaine
Call on them! There is no excuse for their behavior. Take video with your phone too.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:03

LSF Member
From Cambridge
It happens every year and still have never saw a DNR on the water down there. In my years of fishing it I saw one sherrif pulling into the ramp with a massive ridged inflatable with twin outboards on it. Not sure he made it very far with the low water that year.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:21

LSF Member
From Isanti, MN
I confronted a guy out there a few years ago and he said, "I'm dog fishing". Unfortunately, there are doggers in the Rum, so they are going to hide behind it and then complain about those pesky bass and pike, interrupting their fishing and since there isn't a season on doggers, there is a dang thing they can do about it.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 10:03

If fishing were easy, it would be called "YOUR MOM".

LSF Member
From Anoka, MN
Well the guys targeting Smallmouth were the same ones running their boats wide open in the No Wake Zone. That is something they can enforce. Perhaps a $200 fine will get them to pay attention.

There is a lot of really nice home owners on that stretch of river that have to deal with the problems these guys create on their shoreline. I have had several of them visit with me as I drifted past their place.

Once the season is open, the No Wake Zone is a blessing anyway. A guy can troll cranks up stream at a slow pace and then slip back down.

It's too bad that there are fisherman that do not respect the fish. Seasons are closed for a reason. Harassing fish pre-spawn in closed areas is not cool. There are areas, Pool 2, etc. that have year round seasons.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 10:34

LSF Member
From Cambridge
The no wake isn't a blessing when you fish upriver past the no wake. It's 45 minutes upriver or more depending on current for me to get to the end of the no wake. I rarely fish it even living as close as I do because of the 1hr 1/2 of idling through the no wake.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 11:11

LSF Member
From Ramsey
I too saw a boat fishing a shoreline with a "bass" boat. I thought it curious. I don't want to be so quick to judge thou. I recently started fishing the rum and yes the 90merc is not a fan of idling upstream but we do it.
Also if anyone has any techniques they can share I would appreciate it. All my boy and I did last year was cast spinners and frogs.
Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/4 7:51

LSF Member
From Bethel
black and blue senkos rigged weightless or wacky if the current is slow enough. other wise a jig works well too, 3/8oz black and blue again. look for deep water rock!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 12:31

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page