OSAKIS
LSF Member
Any report or pics of Osakis?

thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/6 7:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: OSAKIS
LSF Member
I'd be interested in this as well....I hope at least Miller Bay will be open.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 9:35

LSF Member
From SW Metro
Isn't Osakis considered not a very good opener lake in normal years? Supposedly gets better toward June?

I fished it one opener and had no luck (and heard similar reports that day). Was told by a friend of mine (whose father used to own a bait shop there) that it wasn't that great for opener.

This year I think it would it would be even worse.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 11:42

LSF Member
From Lake Osakis, MN
There is still a lot of ice on Osakis. I'm hoping it will open up by Thursday or Friday. We need some warm rain and some wind. Might get that Wednesday by the looks of the weather reports. Miller Bay is probably about 75% open right now because of the inflow from JD2. I also noticed today that it looked as though it had a narrow band of open water along Moon Bar so the sun must be warming up the rocks. The ice has pulled away from the shore in most areas.

wb4syth,
Osakis might be considered slow on the opener but still good fishing compared to a lot of other lakes. But your right, usually about the bass opener or the first week of June the walleyes really get cranked up.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 19:54

LSF Member
Thanks for the update RetiredOnOsakis! Please keep us informed up until ice out. I really hope to be able to get the boat out this Saturday to try and get some crappies.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 8:33

LSF Member
From Lake Osakis, MN
ItsASow
If your after the crappies in Miller Bay there might not be many left. The pelicans have been having a feast there the last few days.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 19:28

LSF Member
From Lake Osakis, MN
There are a few areas that are starting to open up. It split open today from the end of Battle Point west almost into Schultz's Bay. With the rain supposedly coming tomorrow, plus some wind, we might see things starting to break up.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 19:33

LSF Member
From Alexandria
I was on miltona yesterday. on the north side the ice was 50-75 feet out. the ice that is still there is white and thick. I drove my the east side and the ice was right up to the shore, not surprising since the wind was out of the west. wouldn't get your hopes up for miltona at least.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 6:28

LSF Member
RetiredOnOsakis - My family is new to the lake and was surprised with all the grassy weeds growing off the bottom. We heard that it was much thicker than usual, maybe due to fertilizer run off?

Was that amount of weed growth typical for what you've experienced? Miller Bay was pretty much weeds throughout.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 8:51

LSF Member
From Lake Osakis, MN
Took a picture this morning of the split out from Battle Point. Opened up a little wider overnight. Haven't been able to tell what has been going on today because it has been foggy over the lake most of the day. Still a lot of ice out there. I think we need some wind to break it up if there is any chance of the lake being open for the fishing opener.

Attach file:

jpg  5-8-13 Ice.JPG (91.41 KB)
4739_518ae1cecc3a6.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/8 18:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page