Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Ottertail river walleyes
LSF Member
From alexandria
I've fished the Ottertail river quiet a bit off shore, we used to go right where the river comes out of the lake and fish the dam there for rock bass, occasionally you would snag a northern or a smallmouth. I have had my duck boat on the river one time, fished it with small spinners for smallmouth bass and had a fun time but I am wondering one thing:

Has anyone ever fished the river for walleyes? I'd think they would be in there in the spring time.. I was fishing at phelps mill one day and a 16 inch eye grabed a spinner bait while I was casting for bass and northerns..

I am tempted to find a spot to dump the boat in the river next Saturday for opener since eagle lake (off hwy 78 south of battle lake) is still frozen
.. The cabin is on eagle and I wish I could fish out there but it sounds like I possibly might not have open water!

if anyone could give me some input on the Ottertail river for walleyes I would greatly appreciate it..

I would like to wet a line next weekend and at least give it a shot!

Please PM me any info you may have if it's worth it or not!

Posted on: 2013/5/7 9:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ottertail river walleyes
Pro Staff
From Sauk Rapids, MN
I know the Ottertail River from the Church outside of Perham, flowing into Rush lake can be pretty good at times for walleye's.

Jig's or Spinners (tipped with a shiner), worked TIGHT to the reeds. The current undercuts the bank in a lot of spots. As well, there are a couple 7ft + holes, were you can ancore and pitch jigs into.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 9:28
#10 Test World Record Holder. Muskie 57" RELEASED!

NHRA Super Stock Drag Racing---because all other sports require only 1 ball.

www.oldhabitsracing.com

LSF Member
From alexandria
Thanks for the input, I'm trying to put together a plan to hopefully land me a few fish, I never really have fished walleyes in rivers but since the ice Won't be out ill have to try something new!

Posted on: 2013/5/7 9:46

Pro Staff
From Sauk Rapids, MN
I've pulled many limits of walleye's and a few pike out of that area through the years. My parents use to have a cabin on Rush. It was always a good place to go when there was a big wind...and not many people besides a few 'locals' would fish it. Most walleye's in there will be between 13"-18"...nice eaters.

I would typically drift down the river using my bow mount to hug the deeper side of the river, and either drag a blue or chart. fireball with a shiner...then, once I got near the mouth by Rush lake, turn and troll up stream with a jig or Little Joe spinner tipped with a shiner.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 11:01
#10 Test World Record Holder. Muskie 57" RELEASED!

NHRA Super Stock Drag Racing---because all other sports require only 1 ball.

www.oldhabitsracing.com

LSF Member
From alexandria
Quote:

oldhabits wrote:
I've pulled many limits of walleye's and a few pike out of that area through the years. My parents use to have a cabin on Rush. It was always a good place to go when there was a big wind...and not many people besides a few 'locals' would fish it. Most walleye's in there will be between 13"-18"...nice eaters.

I would typically drift down the river using my bow mount to hug the deeper side of the river, and either drag a blue or chart. fireball with a shiner...then, once I got near the mouth by Rush lake, turn and troll up stream with a jig or Little Joe spinner tipped with a shiner.

Awesome, I wish I could take the big Lund out on the river but it simply wouldn't fit, I took my 16 ft duck boat out there with a 9.5 short shaft motor and ran up it just fine.. We had the boat on the stretch between east lost lake and phelps mill.. Caught a lot of nice smallies and a few nice northerns in the log jams.. I have faith in the river producing our group fish this weekend, its going to take some exploring and finding the right areas! I'll keep you posted on how we do!

Posted on: 2013/5/7 12:21

LSF Member
From Delano, Mn
Their is excellent fishing to be had on the ottertail river. Another suggestion to try is the damn at the south end of rush lake. Ive had some good success their in a boat coming up the river from ottertail lake. Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/5/7 21:44

LSF Member
From alexandria
Awesome info! Thank you!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 12:12

LSF Member
From Delano, Mn
Hey no problem! Goodluck! Might see ya out their

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:26

LSF Member
From coon rapids
I used to go up there and fish battle lake but we would go to the river at midnight on opener and did pretty good when the shiners were running I know that there is a few rivers that run in or out of the lake where we fished there was a dam right at the boat landing I just used a yellow jig with a shiner and did good last year the shiners were done and we got skunked there

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:52

LSF Member
From alexandria
Quote:

jWALLgUY wrote:
Hey no problem! Goodluck! Might see ya out their

Look for a 16 ft camo duck boat with a newer white Johnson motor on it.. Ill be out there!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 19:19

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page