Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Monticello Area report
LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
The temp is headed up, and the fishing is warming right up! I have been a couple times in the last couple days, figuring out the pattern, and dialing in.

The water is running high still, at levels that are more common in late May, than mid July, and the water is still really coffee colored. This has required some adjustment to dial in on the bite.

Quite frankly, power fishing is not working. Cranks, swim jigs, topwaters, and spinnerbaits just are not working. The onbly consistent bite has been plastics, and in particularly slow rolling plastics. 1/4 oz jigs, or weighted hooks and big bulky plastics are the ticket. If you aren't losing the majority of the paint off your jigs in the first five casts, you are not going to catch many fish. Today Tutz fished a 3/16 jig, and I was fishing 1/4oz, and I put in 20 to her three. It had to be on the bottom, and even more critical, aggressive retrieves just were not working. It was very reminiscent of the April ringworm bite on Pool 4.

4" plastic grubs and Yamamoto 4" Hula Grubs out produced all other 3" offerings I had (in the morning I will be ordering 5" Yamamoto grubs). They wanted bulk, and high contrast (black and white). Avoid the "noisy" colors, and head right for black, brown, or white.

With the water as high as it is, the fish are very spread out. Most fish I came in contact with were within 10ft of shore, but as the water level begins to drop the big mid-river bite will pick up, and that my friends is when the true trophy class 'sippi smallies come out.

The one benefit of the high water, even your average 16-17' V-hull can get around if driven carefully. Usually when the bite gets hot, it's a jet or jon boat only, but these high waters make an evening trip after work, or a short day when you can't make it up north a worthwhile option.

Get out there and go getem! Remember to check your regulations if you plan to keep any, as this stretch does have special regs!

Posted on: 2013/7/16 22:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Monticello Area report
LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Nice!

Posted on: 2013/7/17 3:15

LSF Member
From Zimmerman/Roseau MN
Nice report JJ, looks like your finally happy with the weather! Nice day to be out on the river. Good catch too!

Posted on: 2013/7/17 3:55

LSF Member
From Maple Grove, MN
Would shore fishing around that area be worth a shot? If so, what should I look for as to where to try?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 17:20

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
Quote:

Hornster wrote:
Would shore fishing around that area be worth a shot? If so, what should I look for as to where to try?

There are always fish to be had from shore. Obviously it's tough to cover lots of water, so look to maximize your potential. Shoreline current breaks, with access to deeper water are key. Right in Elk River there is a pretty good stretch of water that is public, that has what you are looking for. As the season progresses, and the water recedes, you can usually do quite well up and down the river wade fishing.

And second, if you are relegated to shore fishing, live bait on a slip sinker rig is hard to beat. 4" suckers (light pike) would be my choice. Expect to catch smallies, catfish, pike and sand carp on this rig. (We have been catching all of the above fish, but I focus on the smallies)

Posted on: 2013/7/17 18:00

LSF Member
Nice bass JJ

Posted on: 2013/7/18 14:13

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Nice job! The sippi sure has some dynamite Smallie fishing up in the Monticello neck of the woods! We really hit em good from shore late into the fall this last season. As you said, hard to beat small to medium suckers on slip sinkers for all around action.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:42

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page