Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Re: Waconia
LSF Member
From SW Metro & Stevens Point, WI
Yes the normal cities are in full force. My house is on the west side now because we were just looking for some action for the night, plenty ice: 16"+ that we are on. Hope to pull it over to the east side in a few days.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 13:06

LSF Member
Quote:

JLundborg wrote:
Quote:

Frank'n'Beans wrote:
I wonder if that last post self-explains the lack of sizable crappie. They only kept the largest fish instead of harvesting a bunch of smaller fish.

It most definitely does not. For staters I would argue that 90% of fisherman keep every crappie they catch over 9". I will only keep crappies between 10" and 12". Seconky of the 100+ fish we caught in a 3.5hr time span, we kept 4. Waconia is a great fishery with good sized crappies, they just weren't underneath is last night...

I don't believe there is too large of a crowd on cemetery. Pillsbury, Center, and Waconia Bay all have large crowds.

Actually, its called "stunting" and it does affect the size of the fish. Here's an excerpt from the DNR:
"In the Metro area, stunting in size is likely due to overpopulation and size selective harvest by anglers. Overpopulation reduces the amount of food available to all fish, reducing growth rates. Harvest of larger (keeper size) fish by anglers reduces the number of quality fish in a lake. Harvesting large fish also removes the spawning stock and reduces the biological incentive to grow large. Larger fish compete for spawning habitat and food more effectively. Thus, fish have more incentive to grow large if large fish are present in a lake. Harvesting smaller fish preserves spawning stock and increases the biological incentive to grow large, which promotes big fish genetics."

Posted on: 2014/1/1 15:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From SW Metro & Stevens Point, WI
Yes I am aware on the effects of stunting populations but do not in the least bit feel like that is relevant in Lake Waconia. For starters; the lake is rather large and I would argue that less than 1/4 of the lake even sees fishing pressure in the winter. Plenty of water/structure for the bigger fish to roam without being bothered. The fish are not "stunted" at a certain size, just a lot of year classes present throughout. Stunted fish are generally skinnier on average, and all fall into the same size class within an inch or so. The crappies I'm seeing are all very healthy fish with a wide variety of sizes. Plus I've seen enough 10-15" crappies from the lake to know better...

Posted on: 2014/1/1 16:22

LSF Member
From Chaska,MN
Alot of people keep everything they catch which is wrong to do in my opinion, but also the bigger fish are the ones who produce the most eggs. Only keep what you need to eat. I've seen a great crappie bite go extinct pretty much living on upper red lake. Never thought of a slot for panfish, maybe the right thing to do

Posted on: 2014/1/1 20:45

LSF Member
From Chaska/Baudette
Just got home; went out of the East side at the public landing; a little bump at the ice heave on the shoreline; no problem easily passable in a car. Fished in 16 FOW; had about 18-20\" of ice. Caught 2 small eyes in 4 hours; group next to me (4 portables) had 1 pike around 4-5 lbs; nothing else. 4Wheeldrive can drive anywhere - 6\"to a foot of snow. There are cities on the west side. Hope this helps

Posted on: 2014/1/1 22:23

LSF Member
From NE Wright County
Fished for a few hours tonight in 22fow SE side of the lake. Probably 30 little perch before sunset, then 3 eyes after dark. All mid teens. After that, the crappies moved in, but couldn't get them to bite on anything. 18" of ice.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 23:38

LSF Member
From Shakopee
fished from 4am to 9am yesterday. was a really slow bite from 4 to sunrise, but once that sun came up the crappies were stacked up and were really aggresive. fished 19 ft and they were following the macho minnow with a minnow head up to about 10ft. mostly small 6 to 8 inch fish, a few 9 to 10 inchers. one 15inch bass and about 50 crappies.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 9:38

LSF Member
From Chaska, MN
Went out on Waconia last night, got out away from the multiple little cities out there. Caught a lot of little perch, 1 14" walter and lost two nicer walleye's at the hole and a couple other bites. Fished for 4 hours. Walleye Bites were split between dead stick and jigs. Pretty successful first trip to Waconia imo.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 9:47

LSF Member
Things have slowed a lot for us. As far as eyes..... We are picking up 1-2 keeper fish a night with a few drinks mixed in. The pigs have been rolling thru here and there. Biggest last week was a 23 1/2" :/. Crappies have been small as well. Its gotten to the point I won't even pull my line up to em to save my bait! We are covering mostly the north shore area. Lots of ice in spots. Some not! We pulled our wheelhouse out on a path we preped for this cold weather. On the road we found a solid 14" and off the sides where the drifts are there is 2' of snow and 8". People moving bye us, be careful! We have a route GPS off that the drifts are bad!!!! Saw a truck and wheel house pull over spots we drilled and found 8" last night. Just because we moved there doesn't mean the ice is good to go! We planned our route out over a week to get to where we are cause the ice difference. Tight lines hope the bite picks up with this warm this weekend

Posted on: 2014/1/2 12:24

LSF Member
23 1/2". BTW any walleye over 20" is catch and release in my houses unlessits for the wall!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20131220_195929_901.jpg (881.50 KB)
19306_52c5a1a04e9e2.jpg 3264X1840 px

Posted on: 2014/1/2 12:28

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page