Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Musky while spearing
LSF Member
From Hiding from the Wife!
Quote:

Shortline wrote:
Also - Leech is a great spearing lake - and a great musky fishery at the same time.

Like mentioned earlier - if you 'accidently' spear a musky, I would really, really question the validity of the 'error'.......

SL

Seems like it happens every year though.. It's unfortunate and if you want to see a mob carrying pitchforks and torches, post a pic or leave the ski on the ice! I'm a muskie fisherman and have accepted the fact that I have to share muskie waters with spearers. I just hope that they have half enough brains to know the difference between the two species.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 13:30

LSF Member
I guess it is lakes that are "managed" for Musky.

Ice Angling and Spearing

Spearing Prohibited

Winter spearing for north
ern pike is pro hib it ed on the following lakes:

Baby* (Cass County)
Bald Eagle (Anoka, Ramsey, and
Wash ing ton counties)
Beers* (Otter Tail County)
Big* (Beltrami County)
Big Mantrap* (Hubbard County)
Cross and its Snake River
Flowage* (Pine County)
Deer* (Itasca County)
Eagle (Hennepin County)
Forest (Hennepin County)
Libbs (Hennepin County)
Lobster* (Douglas County)
Mille Lacs (Aitkin, Crow Wing,
and Mille Lacs counties)
Minnetonka (Hennepin and
Carver counties)
Moose* (Itasca County)
North Star* and Little
North Star*
(Itasca County)
Owasso (Ramsey County)
Peavey (Hennepin County)
Rebecca (Hennepin County)
Rush* (Chisago County)
Spider* (Itasca County)
Stieger (Carver County)
Sugar* (Wright County)
Tanager (Hennepin County)
Wabedo* (Cass County)
West Battle* (Otter Tail County)
*Denotes lakes where no spearing is allowed at any time.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 13:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
I think most spearers have the respect not to spear muskies, but it's those few bad apples that make a bad image. Just like any other law breaking "sportsman".

Posted on: 2014/1/23 13:54

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Quote:
Seems like it happens every year though.. It's unfortunate and if you want to see a mob carrying pitchforks and torches, post a pic or leave the ski on the ice! I'm a muskie fisherman and have accepted the fact that I have to share muskie waters with spearers. I just hope that they have half enough brains to know the difference between the two species.

In the big picture, how often does it actually happen? I am not saying it doesn't, but i read reports about it quite often and it always seems to be the "I know a guy that saw....." type of reports. I speared Vermillion heavily for years, and can honestly say I never found a musky left on the ice and never saw any pics of one getting speared. I am not naive enough to say it never happens, but I truly think that it happens seldom enough that it is a non-factor in the big pic.

I am honestly curious as to how often it actually happens. a few times a year, dozens, hundreds? It seems like the reports you see are a one-a-year type of thing involving a 50" fish, so they really generate a lot of attention.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 14:00

LSF Member
I agree Shortline. There's probably more muskies that die from angler's handling the fish out of the water too long than what spears kill. Not trying to start anything, BTW.

To the original poster, that's a pretty cool sight to see. Nice looking fish down there too. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 14:11

LSF Member
From Duluth
Quote:

MasterGopherHunter wrote:
I agree Shortline. There's probably more muskies that die from angler's handling the fish out of the water too long than what spears kill. Not trying to start anything, BTW.

To the original poster, that's a pretty cool sight to see. Nice looking fish down there too. Thanks for sharing.

As a muskie fisherman in the summer I thought it was just something cool to see under ice and share

Posted on: 2014/1/23 14:14

LSF Member
I'm not sure why someone would want to intentional spear a large musky. What would they even do with the fish?

Eat it? - Much better tasting fish to spear if you want a meal.
Have a mount made? - Not sure I'd want to bring an obviously illegally speared musky into the taxidermist.

IMO it just wouldn't make sense for some one to spear a musky on purpose. I'm sure it does happen since stupid people do exist but I'm guessing its not a real common issue.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 14:18

LSF Member
No more "stupid" that introducing this invasive species in the first place IMO.

I know some love them, but I see them as Carp with teeth.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 14:26

LSF Member
Quote:

ltl23 wrote:
Quote:

MasterGopherHunter wrote:

As a muskie fisherman in the summer I thought it was just something cool to see under ice and share

Absolutely. Was that on Bemidji?

Posted on: 2014/1/23 14:38

LSF Member
From Duluth
It was on Plantagenet, everyone knows big musky exist here so not scared to share location ha

Posted on: 2014/1/23 14:55

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page