Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Generator problems up at lake of the woods
LSF Member
From Randall, Mn
Last weekend we were up at lake of the woods and had two generators fail . Both of them failed. The honda puked oil at about 10 am Saturday so we fired up my Yamaha 2800 and that one took a dump about 1100 pm Saturday night. I'm wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Both generators have the same issues. Does anyone have any ideas what was going on ? Did we get some tainted gas ?

Posted on: 2014/2/3 20:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Generator problems up at lake of the woods
LSF Member
From south metros
We had our Honda full choke with the air temp @ -27 ran fine when we got back down here @ 25+ No issues with power or surging

Posted on: 2014/2/3 20:42
I.BO.T. #269

LSF Member
From Randall, Mn
Both of them puked oil. Both were on fresh oil changes.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 20:51

LSF Member
From Blaine
Sounds like something causing the plug to foul and blow gas by the rings "making oil".... odd it happened on 2 of them. Seen it happen on my honda 2000 due to the air filter plugged from blowing snow making it run super rich and foul the plug but it barley stayed running.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 20:56

LSF Member
From Randall, Mn
I could see one of them puking but both ? Is there any hope for either of them ? I didn't check the oil on the Yamaha but the oil on the honda was full and the oil on the honda was milky and overflowing . Is there any hope for either generator or should I start looking for a new one.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 21:16

LSF Member
mine is nine days old, kept surging on eco like a fouled plug or something, ran fine off eco, an had a loud whistle whine. sorry to hear of yur troubles x 2 brought mine back to warrenty work.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 21:46

LSF Member
I have had that happen more than once on LOW. The generator starts spitting oil out and eventually dies. It is usually when it is windy and I think the air filter plugs up with fine snow or freezing rain. Usually put a new plug and fill up the oil and it runs fine. I have never had it happen to two generators in the same day. Mine also froze up and was running quite rough on Saturday night. It didnt die, but it was running quite rough. I had to switch to a back up as well. I have heard of some people who put their generator inside a small tent. (like a dome tent for a doll) it keeps the wind and snow from getting to the air filter. I have never tried it, but I think I will after this last weekend.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 21:49

LSF Member
Sounds like you got snow/moisture in your air filter.

Clean it up, change oil, replace the spark plug and you should be good to go.

Placing them up off the ground like in a pick-up box helps with this issue. The snow drifting on the ground can cause all sorts of issues.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 6:13

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Very good information to have. I learn more here on LSF than I do on other sites on purpose.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 8:16

Responding to your generator problems , This is what works great for me and my buddy's, we put ours in back of truck with topper , crack a window for air or put in a small fish house with floor to keep off ice , the exhaust keeps them warm , i've been doing that for two years now and never had a problem even down to -35 with wind and I run a sportsman 4000 never had problem with it , also get better fuel economy by staying warm no wind or snow get at it

Posted on: 2014/2/4 9:02

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page