Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

small mouth?
LSF Member
hey guys I just moved here from Columbus ohio and I'm dying to find areas with smallmouth mostly rivers and creeks I strictly catch and release but I'm having a hard time finding anything in the area for smallmouth in the spring... I'm thinking Mississippi or thief falls river or maybe even creeks coming out of red lake? please help with a very general area not looking to steal spots or anything thanks in advance

Posted on: 2014/3/31 14:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: small mouth?
LSF Member
Your best lake would be Mille Lacs, hands down. Fish any rocks and you'll get plenty.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 15:33

LSF Member
There are only a couple of lakes in the Bemidji area that have smallies, that I know of. Otherwise you'll have to head down to Park Rapids area that has a handfull of lakes, which can be really good. If you haven't already, do some looking around on the DNR Lakefinder, as well as getting a Sportsman's Connection Lakemap Atlas. Both are good sources to get a decent understanding of the lakes, but they certainly shouldn't be taken as gospel. Plus, it's always more rewarding when a little research of your own pays off with good results of fish

Posted on: 2014/3/31 17:18

LSF Member
From Zimmerman, MN
Please remember to check your regulations too. Smallmouth season is currently closed. You cannot fish for a species in it's closed season even if catch and release.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 17:53

LSF Member
awesome I respect all of the regulations around here I'm glad they are strict unlike in ohio. but thanks for your help Mille lacs is a little far away but I've heard great things I'll have to make a trip

Posted on: 2014/3/31 23:00

Pro Staff
From Brainerd, MN
Yeah, not much around Bemidji for smallies, even in the rivers and creeks. You need to either head towards Park Rapids (Mantrap Lake, for example) or Grand Rapids (lots of lakes around there with smallmouth) or north toward Rainy Lake. Some lakes around Walker/Hackensack/Longville area and south of there towards Brainerd.

Good luck on your search, I'm sure you will find a lot of great fishing along the way.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 10:52

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Loads of smallmouth opportunities within 90 miles of Bemidji. Some right outside of town, if you figure 'em out.

Thief River Falls, below the dam, is great for smallmouth. Totally incredible and totally under-fished.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 11:02

LSF Member
Hey just wanted to thank everyone for their input I've been doing extremely well on smallmouth at potato lake. The humps there are amazing thanks again fellas

Posted on: 2014/7/3 10:45

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page