Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: spring runs
LSF Member
From Maplewood
Awesome. I'll be heading up this weekend with my son and father. Hoping to get into a few.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 7:27

LSF Member
From andover
Hope you guy's have some action. There will be loopers running right through the walleye opener in my opinion. I'm going up next Tuesday. good luck.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 16:24

Die young as old as possible.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
What's a looper

Posted on: 2014/4/30 20:00

LSF Member
Never fish up there before can anyone give me an idea on where to fish and what to use thanx

Posted on: 2014/4/30 20:01

LSF Member
If your fishing rivers just put on a little bit of red/orange/ or chartreuse yarn snelled on a # 8 or #10 hook. Larger clump of yarn the muddier the water. But remember less is more. Split shot 18" or more up from that. Just enough split shot so you are ticking along bottom (or even less than that). 6lb test flourocarbon and you are set for hooking fish. Keep your drifts short and learn where the fish are holding.

You can also use the same method drifting spawn bags, crawlers or waxies.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 1:38

LSF Member
@sammysao - looper is a kamloop rainbow trout. Not sure why they got the name Kamloops because they have nothing to do with the Kamloops Strain of rainbow trout from Kamloops, British Columbia - but that's the name that stuck. All they are is a hatchery created hybrid strain of rainbow trout that does not successfully reproduce naturally - so they are strictly a put-and-take fishery. Historically the MN DNR has introduced several different strains of rainbow trout the Lake Superior - and this strain grew the fastest and had the largest return (at least until they started stalking them at a smaller size from the spire river hatchery). Technically they are NOT Kamloops - but that is the name that stuck. If you DNA tested them, they are definitely NOT kamloops and MN DNR probably couldn't tell you where they came from. Just some hybrid strain of rainbow trout that grows big fast. But too bad they screwed up the French River Hatchery because this year has been a far smaller return than ever before. But good luck either way - there are still a few catchable fish around.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 1:44

LSF Member
Thanx for the info guys

Posted on: 2014/5/1 6:54

LSF Member
From Maplewood
It should be fun this weekend. My son is looking forward to it. He loves just watching the fish in the water.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 7:16

LSF Member
From andover
Looperscooper, first I want to welcome you to LSF and look forward to many helpful posts like you posted on this thread. Your post is very helpful to those who are just starting out enjoying the North Shore streams going after loopers and steelhead.

Using yarn as you presented is something that I remember using as a kid on the streams many years ago and I'm glad your still using this "old school" and effective method. I also use a very small amount of yarn that I tie on my hook to add to my spawn bag. One thing I do to the yarn after Tie it on my hook and snip off excess yarn so I have the amount I want, is to "brush" the yarn with a tooth brush to seperate the "hairs" so to speak for a more natural appearance.

If you can tie your own spawn sacks from females you have caught, so much the better. The spawn sacks should be the size of a dime. good luck.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 9:03

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
From Minnetonka
good info guys, very helpful. I make a few trips up every year to the Lutsen area (both spring and fall) and I'm starting to figure this whole thing out. last year we were there the weekend of 5/17-hands down the best fishing I have ever seen on the shore! We mostly fish spinning rods with mepps and blue fox spinners (*you must clip trebles and pinch barbs*) and have success on many species w/ this technique. Steelhead, browns, and brooks in the spring-King's and pink salmon in the fall.

The key in my opinion is 100% timing, if the fish are running you can catch (or at least hook) them on pretty much anything.

Has anyone been up on the "Upper Shore" yet this year? I have been watching the charts but they don't always help predict what to expect. Water is still cold, looks like all the rain is getting these rivers roaring.

Any updated reports on water quality (dirty/high) and water temps would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has hooked a Steelhead on the upper shore this year please confirm. We are heading up tomorrow and a little extra confidence would go a long way!

Posted on: 2014/5/1 11:17

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page