Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Trout Fishing/Camping question
LSF Member
Any recommendations on good places in SE MN where I can fish for trout and camp nearby? Preferably a state park, but just because I have a pass. Looking for a good place to spend a weekend, have a shot at a big'un, and not be likely to get skunked :) Was looking at Whitewater, but fear that I may have more company than I'd like.
I'm a pretty beginner level trout-er, but I got hooked on a trip to Wyoming last summer. Use spinning rod/tackle, so my ideal streams are more rocky and less downed trees - any pointers?

Posted on: 2014/5/6 23:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Trout Fishing/Camping question
LSF Member
From Maplewood
Have you looked at Forestville State Park?

Posted on: 2014/5/6 23:27

LSF Member
Looks promising. Thanks :)

Posted on: 2014/5/6 23:53

LSF Member
From Maplewood
Yup

Posted on: 2014/5/7 6:57

LSF Member
Whitewater state park is another great option, fishing and camping all In the park

Also Hay Creek campground, it's right on the creek (it's not a state park thou)

Good Luck !

tonkatom

Posted on: 2014/5/7 7:47

LSF Member
Boy I guess its early (didn't see your Whitewater fear)

as far as spin fishing, panther martin spinners are my go to lure #2 or#4 size silver blade, yellow body w red dots

pull them quickly down stream along the grass edges, and below a deep pool or where water is moving around boulders

work your way UP stream as not to spook the fish as much,
tread softly, stay low, I always wear earth toned clothing or camo

Hope it all helps...

tonkatom

Posted on: 2014/5/7 7:57

LSF Member
Thanks for the input - I actually fished Hay creek this last weekend (just the bottom section close to town) and got about a half dozen browns of decent size (~10").
I was looking at Carley until I realized their campground doesn't open til Memorial Day.
It's probly gonna come down to Whitewater or Forestville...hopefully walleye opener will keep the other fisherfolk elsewhere :D

Posted on: 2014/5/7 16:31

LSF Member
TonkaTom; Do you always pull your lures downstream? New at this and always cast downstream and pull up. Why would it make a difference? Thanks

Posted on: 2014/5/8 17:09

LSF Member
From what I've read, you're less likely to spook the fish if you're downstream of them (especially if you're kicking up mud that will flow towards them). They can hear you coming better if you are upstream of them, I would guess.
Though I, like you, tend to cast downstream for the simple reason it makes it easier to place my lures right where I want them and keep them in front of the fish longer. Sometimes if you hang a crawler behind a boulder for long enough, one gathers up the courage and hits it.
But I'm a noob so they're probably right on the strategy :)

Posted on: 2014/5/8 18:50

LSF Member
From Central MN
Root river by Lanesboro. Big water, bigger fish.

Large spinners and countdowns/plastics Work well.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 19:03

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page