Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Trout Fishing/Camping question
LSF Member
Bigger fish is always appealing...
How deep is it out there? Can you wade all the way across? I'm just rocking thigh waders - I have a well-earned phobia of swamping chest waders haha - how limited would I be?

Posted on: 2014/5/8 19:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Central MN
Quote:

shebs wrote:
How deep is it out there? Can you wade all the way across? I'm just rocking thigh waders - I have a well-earned phobia of swamping chest waders haha - how limited would I be?

Pm me, i'll reply back tonight after angry Man slowpitch.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 19:37

LSF Member
From Maplewood
Quote:

shebs wrote:

There are spots where hip waders are good enough. If you end up at lanesboro, be sure to hit the dam. Stand as close to the dam as you can get and cast a cross. Lots of fish.

An earlier post mentioned Panther Martins. While good lures, I've had better luck on trout with size 2 & 3 Blue Fox spinners in gold and silver. Tip with a chunk of crawler and you're in business!

Posted on: 2014/5/8 20:28

LSF Member
Most fish in fast moving water are facing up stream, because:

1. it takes much less effort for them to maintain there position in the water

2. most forage is moving down stream small grubs, nymph's, worms, hellgrammites, crayfish ALL get washed down stream in fast moving water (and there watching for this)

3. assuming your moving quietly up stream, and staying low, you have a much better chance that they won't sense you

I'm not saying you can't pull up stream in slow moving water or a large slow pool but, in fast water it's not very natural looking

tonkatom

Attach file:

jpg  P9080039.JPG (2,841.85 KB)
22314_536cc49c47517.jpg 2976X3968 px

jpg  P8030307.JPG (2,893.44 KB)
22314_536cc5b4e50cf.jpg 3968X2976 px

Posted on: 2014/5/9 7:11

LSF Member
From Maple Plain, MN
I would agree that Forrestville and Whitewater are your best bets, but the Lanesboro/Preston area has some dandy streams too. The Root River system is full of big browns.

RE: Upstream vs. Downstream spinner casting

Before I started fly casting I did a lot of spin fishing and didn't know which approach was better so I did both. Over the course of time I've probably caught the same amount both ways.

I'm no expert at spin casting, but I believe the bigger profile most represents a baitfish or something trying to escape. Trout spend a lot of time chilling out and using minimal energy to feed by letting everything come to them, but this is usually only small profile meals. When I fly cast my tiny flies, I will 99% of the time work them downstream in some fashion.

However, when a predator fish sees something fleeing that they determine they have a good chance at, they will use the energy to chase. I don't think it matters if it is upstream or downstream. I think sometimes when the trout are sluggish, pulling it back upstream might work better to "keep it in the zone" longer and you may get strikes purely out of aggression.

Keep in mind that either approach will work and you never want to become a one trick pony fisherman ruled by conventional wisdom and literature knowledge. I love experimenting while out on the streams and tying all new kinds of tactics. Many times conventional wisdom holds true, but sometimes you'll learn something new.

Also, remember that Trout have an IQ of like 6, so it may be as simple as them going "SHINY!!!!" and then striking.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 9:14

LSF Member
From Central MN
It's a personal preference based on where you go.

If you want to catch 100- small fish with a fly, then head to a coldwater stream or brook. If you want to rub shoulders with other people head to whitewater.

If you want to catch bigger fish in more numbers, then head to the root river and throw bigger lures or float worms down the river. 15-25 inch fish don't get big by eating midges, there is a certain time in a trouts life when sucking in 10,000 midges doesn't make any sense when you can polish off a creek chub,sucker minnow, orsmall trout and be done with feeding for the day.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 13:39

LSF Member
Thanks for the input everyone!
Ended up spending the weekend in Forestville State park...fished the Root upstream of the park on saturday, then went to Lanesboro on Sunday. Unfortunately, the rain was too much on Sunday - no bites, (but I did have a good size trout follow my lure all the way to the shore before turning around) except for a decent smallie I caught further downstream, so I ended the day pulling a few small browns out of Hay Creek on my way back to the cities.
My catch of the weekend was a 14" brown on my first cast of the day (started raining shortly after, killed the bite).

I'll have to try again in better weather.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:41

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page