Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

North Shore
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I posted this in the Duluth forum as well but going to put it here as well. My wife and I are heading to the north shore for a four day camping trip but would both love to get out the fishing gear. We are wondering though what is the species to target? more so want to be on the rivers fly fishing but like to run the spinning rigs as well. Do they stock fish closer to Superior on these rivers? just looking for a little guidance.

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/5/12 14:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: North Shore
LSF Member
From Stillwater,Minnesota
Most of the better rivers don't receive stocking and are entirely dependant on natural reproduction. I'd rather not name specific streams, as these streams do not have near the #'s of Driftless Area streams. Try to find a stream with a consistent source like a lake, and fish the upper to middle stretches. Closer to Superior is more of a Steelhead bite, most of the lower river stretches have very low #'s of resident adult Trout, mostly just smolts

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:10

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
That's good information thank you. Obviously there are better rivers than others but should I be able to hook into fish or at least have a chance in catching a few on most rivers? And no need for names just wondering if while im driving along and see a seemingly good stream and stop at a given stream, do I have a shot at a fish or are there just a select number of streams worth stopping at.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 8:30

LSF Member
Quote:

AKal wrote:
That's good information thank you. Obviously there are better rivers than others but should I be able to hook into fish or at least have a chance in catching a few on most rivers? And no need for names just wondering if while im driving along and see a seemingly good stream and stop at a given stream, do I have a shot at a fish or are there just a select number of streams worth stopping at.

Almost any stream up there has a few Brookies, the question is whether its a good, fishable population. For the most part if you're driving along 61, even if the water looks good, its probably lower #'s. The best fishing is at least a 1/2 hour north from Two Harbors, the rivers around Duluth are mostly spate streams and better for migratory species. Try the bigger rivers, but go inland at least 5-6 miles. And like I said try to find streams with a consistent source like lakes or marshes, as these will have better year round flows.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 9:17

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Okay that makes sense, what causes these fish to be so far upstream? is it fishing pressure or is it more so a habitat thing? or is it because river flows are less variable farther from the big water? Thanks for the input we will be starting in grand portage or grand marais and working our way south from there so the whole being north of 2 harbors is good to hear as well.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 10:43

LSF Member
There's lot of good stuff up there. Go further inland since the water will be colder, and the current not as crazy. The gradient on some of those canyon stretches is just too much for those fish, they couldn't find a niche if they tried. So yeah it's a habitat thing. Also almost any nice fish would be picked off in the spring by Steelhead fishermen down by the mouth. BTW, if you catch a big Brookie anywhere, but especially beneath the barrier falls, PLEASE release it. It would likely be a coaster, especially that far up the shore. They are trying to make a comeback but are still exceptionally rare...

Posted on: 2014/5/15 0:36

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Okay that's good to know, we are more catch and release like to keep a few for a meal but will definitely release bigger brookies now that I have that knowledge.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 8:59

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page