Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Brown Trout
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I fished this creek in the Detroit Lakes area apparently there are brown trout and possible brookies in it. It averages 12-15 ft wide and 1.5-2 foot deep. It has an average flow rate and mostly under a canopy of hardwoods. lots of curves and winding with the curves mostly being shallow and wide. not much room to cast for the majority of the river and has quiet a few fallen trees in it. Its about 1.25 miles long and flows into a large local lake. I went out last night saw no rises and had no bites. It did storm here yesterday morning so that may have slowed the fish down. I am new to trout fishing in Minnesota and in general but typically use fly gear to fish them. any input on how to tackle this river that may produce some fish would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  sucker creek.jpg (2,365.71 KB)
26018_5391e06fdc375.jpg 2448X3264 px

Posted on: 2014/6/6 10:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Brown Trout
LSF Member
From Minneapolis
If you didn't notice any rising fish, I would try swinging some streamers near the downed trees and undercut banks, if they are present, especially in off-color water after a storm.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 13:48

LSF Member
From Maple Plain, MN
Wow, that looks very challenging! Hats off to you for giving it a shot. I would imagine, especially between storms, that this spring creek is very clear. I think small spring creeks are some of the most difficult to fish because the trout are spooked so easily in the thin, clear water. The first step is to always wear subtle earth tones and move slowly. Even the vibration from your feet will spook them 20 yards away before you even see them. Many times no matter how careful you are, you need to just stay put for 10-15 min before you even cast to let them settle down and move back into their feeding lanes.

I don't know much about this stream, but just looking I would guess it is a stocked brown trout population with marginal or no spawning success (put and take fishery). Brookies could self sustain without stocking, but their average size would probably be around 7-8 inches with the rare 11-12 incher.

Not sure if you fly fish, but subtle presentations are key in small water unless the flow is high or the water is stained. The splash from a lot of spin casting lures will scare off the trout in low water. If you do cast and retrieve with a spin rod, make sure to cast 10-15 feet away from the fish and retrieve to them.

Another option is to use a modifed bottom rig for shallow water. Use trout dough or an inflated worm (make sure bait is allowed in this creek) and have it suspend a foot off the bottom. Cast, let it sit, and wait. The splash will scare them for sure, but wait it out and see if some swim back into the pool.

Hope that helps a bit. I know I get humbled every time I fish the small spring creeks. It is more like stealth hunting than it is fishing, so stay patient.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 13:49

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Thanks for the suggestions the water does have a little staining to it but is mostly clear. Apparently there are brookies in there as well. I heard of a few 18" fish coming from this creek but that was heard from a guy that know a guy so not sure if I believe it. I do fly fish and was moving down stream along the shore and would not cast but would just let my lure float and I would feed line due to some of the tight areas. I will try again with alittle more patience this time since I gave a spot only 5 minutes before heading to the next. I will let you know how I do later this week. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 16:33

LSF Member
From andover
If there are trout in these streams they will hit a plain worm with a small split shot for starters being that this stream [as shown in the pic] looks difficult to fly fish. Try the most basic of all [worm and small split shot] and see what happens. You could also drift a small worm under a bobber [a foot below] to prevent snags on the bottom till you get the feel of things. Do this all the time in small creeks up north. good luck.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 17:22

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page