Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

River Rookie
LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
Let me start by saying I've become a better fisher(wo)man and hunter because of you all. Thank you all for giving guidance to someone who feels like they're always learning and asking beginner questions. Here's my question...

My husband really wants to take our 14ft V w/ tiller 15hp motor out on the MN River (Chaska Area) to change things up. We stick to smaller lakes typically. I have never launched into a river, or fished a river from a boat, I just always thought rivers were too unpredictable with logs, current, and debris. What do we need to as river rookies?

Do you recommend any equipment for river? A friend said you need to have a gaff or a pole to push off of stuff that you approach if you can't control the turn, or to get unstuck from sand bars.
Is it safe to eat fish from this area being that we are south of the city?
And here's my biggest question, I snag EVERY log already when I fish from from shore. How in the heck do you avoid catching logs when you're in a boat?
And lastly...Anyone want to give advice on bait, lures, technique? Again, when we fish from shore we use bobber set ups. but how does a boat change things?

Thanks!
Cara

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: River Rookie
LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
I should add that we would target Cats and Walleye

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:15

LSF Member
From Chaska, MN
Quote:

Beanne wrote:
Let me start by saying I've become a better fisher(wo)man and hunter because of you all. Thank you all for giving guidance to someone who feels like they're always learning and asking beginner questions. Here's my question...

My husband really wants to take our 14ft V w/ tiller 15hp motor out on the MN River (Chaska Area) to change things up. We stick to smaller lakes typically. I have never launched into a river, or fished a river from a boat, I just always thought rivers were too unpredictable with logs, current, and debris. What do we need to as river rookies?

Do you recommend any equipment for river? A friend said you need to have a gaff or a pole to push off of stuff that you approach if you can't control the turn, or to get unstuck from sand bars.
Is it safe to eat fish from this area being that we are south of the city?
And here's my biggest question, I snag EVERY log already when I fish from from shore. How in the heck do you avoid catching logs when you're in a boat?
And lastly...Anyone want to give advice on bait, lures, technique? Again, when we fish from shore we use bobber set ups. but how does a boat change things?

Thanks!
Cara

River fishing is a different beast, and presents a changing environment daily. To answer your questions, I would just have a paddle(s) in the boat in case you have engine trouble and need to get to shore. I would check the DNR recommendations, but I don't eat anything out of the MN River (and very little out of the Mississippi). Snags are unavoidable, but if you have braided line you can pull out of most of them. Jig and a minnow will catch anything that swims in a river. Otherwise casting shorelines works well. Pay attention to the current, and work the seams. Good luck, and post a report!

Posted on: 2014/10/1 17:10

LSF Member
From Ham Lake
You will loose tackle in the river. Dont worry about it. Thats why they make more. Go buy a 100 pack of jigs from fleet farm and get very familiar with the Polamar knot. 1/4 ounce is a good size to start.

Pickup a scoop of fat heads and some night crawlers. Take the boat out and look for a place that looks fishy. Drop the anchor, bait up a jig and toss it out on the bottom. Minnow through the lips or about a 2" piece of night crawler. Toss the down river of the boat to sit on the bottom. No fish in 20 minutes or so time to move.

Dont get to worked up over snags. I like 8 or 10# test to help with getting a few more jigs back. Sometimes it much quicker to just snap those jigs off and retie than spend to much time messing with getting them out.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 18:12

LSF Member
From MN USA
The Chaska area and south is pretty damn good for cats and eyes. Your boat will be fine, just take it slow, watch the electronics, and stay to the outside of the bends. Luckily that stretch of the river is pretty rockless, except the Carver Rapids (between Carver and Jordan). If you can find the Rapids, you will catch fish and have a shot at really big fish. I've caught MANY flatheads over 40lbs fishing those rocks, and sand (inside bend).

Here's an option as well, shore fish. The landings at Jordan, Belle Plaine, and LeSuer (by far the best for walleye) have produced a ton of channels and eyes (fall) for me. If you're willing to stop for happy hour in DT or the bowl in BP, ask them where the Milk Plant is. Nice shore area and can be good for whitetips in the fall and winter. There are a ton of spots from BP to Mankato also but I'm not to going touch on that now.

Loosing tackle is part of the river fishing and I agree with what the guys before me said. When shore fishing cast at a 45 degree angle down stream and use enough weight to pin the bait (depends on current speed and depth). Don't be afraid to use big lively minnows on a live bait rig (short snell) with a floating jighead or something that will suspend the bait. 3 to 6 inch chubs work kick a$$ for this type of fishing. Also try casting jigheads w/ twisters or swimbaits.

Now is the time to hit it hard and the MN is a sweet fishery. I hope this helps and Good Luck.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 19:57

LSF Member
From MN USA
BTW, if you want some spots that I don't want to post up here, PM me.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 20:04

LSF Member
From MN USA
Have you been out and if so hows the fishing been?

Here's a nifty little spot that's easy to get to by boat or car. It's called Carter's Corner just outside of Belle Plaine. To fish it by boat dump in at the BP launch and head upstream. Actually you'll pass the Milk Plant (old bridge, can't miss it) which is a good area with lots of structure and fish, on your way up there. After the Milk Plant the river will take a hard right (almost double back) then straighten out and Carter's Corner will be just down the way on the left.

It's a rock bar that jets way out into the river and creates a nice eddy and decent sized slack water pool behind it. There will be a drain pipe on shore that will flow when it rains or snows. You should be able to see it and the rock bar so you will know that your on the spot. Don't be afraid to work all the water in that area including the dead water. Walleye & sauger were almost always plentiful this time of year and early ice.

The Carver Rapids are a safe bet right now as well.

If you get out let us know how you do, but don't tell where you're pounding'em. Good Luck

Posted on: 2014/10/22 23:07

LSF Member
Not sure where your heading but the milk plant is upstream and carters
corner is downstream where the river meets county road 40

Posted on: 2014/10/29 8:38

LSF Member
From MN USA
Thanks dingle.

I don't think they're fishing and its too bad cause the river level & flow should've be sweet all month long.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 19:17

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page