Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Splitting expenses on a trip
LSF Member
From Stillwater, MN/Danbury, WI
Last April one of my buddies asked if I'd like to go to Devils Lake for some late ice fishing. Two of his friends wanted to go as well making it 4 guys. They said they would cover fuel if we took one of my rigs. We loaded up the two snowmobiles in the fish house and took the dually crew cab with the 2 portables in the box/topper. 40mph head wind locked in 4x4 snowstorm 40mph for the first half of the trip out 7mpg! On the way back felt so bad for the poor mileage I paid for the last tank... The guys paid for most of the bait and even the propane. 2 engineers and a tackle rep. The only problem we had with the engineers was overthinking the bait and where to fish!

Over the past 20 years have made 50+ trips up to LOTW with one other guy who didn't pay for anything.

Late Nov last year went up to LOTW with a retired friend of mine who we've talked about a trip up there for 15 years. We took his ATV, portable, and generator and my Excursion and fish house. When we got home he wanted to square up 50/50 and tried to tell him it was my treat don't worry about it. He didn't like that and insisted on paying me what he felt was fair which of course was more than fair.

When you remove the lodging expense from a trip they are not too bad.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 1:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
It's very simple. Me and a buddy make a hour to two hour trip every weekend. The guy that drives pays for his own gas .and the other buys the bait/beer/food .that way the total comes to about the same and if it doesn't then next weekend you pay on the lesser side !

Posted on: 2015/1/13 9:40

LSF Member
From Brooklyn Center & Isle
Usually when I go on a trip with a buddy him or I fill up the vehicle on our own dime before we go. From there we just save the fuel receipts, split the access fee if we have one and just kind of pay our own way on food, bait, and booze if were partying. I have found this to be the easiest way to do things. I have done it this way 3-4 times this year and nobody walks away feeling like they got screwed, more or less wondering when the next trip is going to be! For me, I am usually willing to throw in a little extra somewhere if someone else is driving. Trips are always less stressful especially in the winter time when your riding and not driving. Nothing worse than bringing "that guy" on a weekend trip who brings no food, no booze, doesnt buy bait, basically doesnt contribute anything but takes up space!!!!! I havent brought anyone like that for a while now and trips seem to be better! I am all for showing friends a good time and bringing them out fishing but sometimes it just gets a bit ridiculous!

Posted on: 2015/1/13 10:12

LSF Member
From Chaska, MN
I think we all have one of "those" buddies lol. It boggles my mind, people have no problem paying for all the equipment etc that it costs to go fishing and then are PITA's about the gas cost. I typically drive and if there is lodging/gas etc it's split evenly and if it's a day trip I just have who I'm bringing with cover any bait, access fees, and/or random costs. Good topic though.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 11:12

LSF Member
From God's green Earth.
Nowadays, I'm always the one who drives, provides the gear (truck, sleds, trailers, houses, equip, etc.), arranges lodging, purchases groceries, and for the most part "guides" the group. As such, I really prefer to have "control" over expenses.

Before a trip I do some quick and simple calculations to determine a ballpark estimate on overall cost. I buy what groceries are needed, make sure everything is fueled up, oiled up, and all the gear is ready to go. Essentially "out-fitting" the trip for everyone else.

So, going into the trip, I know what everything will cost. Individual cost is determined by the number of folks going along (overall cost divided by how many go). I put an additional 20%-25% of the overall cost back on my passengers to compensate for my time, effort, gear wear and tear, and unseen expense, and I make this clear to everyone in the group before the trip.

If it ends up costing each person $125.00, then that's their share of the expenses, cut and dried. They know before we go how much it's going to cost them. If they think that's too expensive, they can choose not to go, so I then recalculate expenses for the remaining passengers. No surprises, no mystery.

I don't put car washes, oil changes, new fishing line, etc., on my buddies. These are simple ancillary expenses for MY stuff, not theirs! I'd have to pay these expenses on my gear whether we went on a fishing/hunting trip or not.

I'm also fairly sensitive to those that come along that may not be in the best financial circumstances. I recognize that I am very financially blessed, and I'm happy to share what I have with others who have not. I'm perfectly willing to cut someone a little financial slack if they're in a bad way money wise, but they really need a fishing/hunting trip for their mental well-being. I know it will eventually all work out in the end, and if it doesn't, well, I hope my additional cost/investment made one of my friend's lives just a little bit better.

I don't fish or hunt nearly as often as I used to, or would like to, so quibbling over minor expenses can just cast a cloud over the whole trip. It's just not worth it. If I gotta drop an extra $50-$100 so that everyone has a great time, personally, I feel I couldn't possibly make a better investment! ;)

Posted on: 2015/1/13 11:59

LSF Member
KUDOS to C.S. ^^^

Some of the rest of it?

Like the commercial with the table full of women at the restaurant cutting up the bill, and bitching about Who Had The Salad. LOL!!

Posted on: 2015/1/13 12:19

LSF Member
last trip I went on the ahole buddy of mine kept track of how many minnows we each used and split the bait cost up per minnow.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 21:31

LSF Member
From Longville
One good thing is gas is getting cheaper......so more $ for beer!!!

Posted on: 2015/1/13 22:03

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page