river by monti
LSF Member
Anyone hit the smallies lately? Getting out today

Posted on: 2015/2/9 9:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: river by monti
LSF Member
From southern mn
I have not but my buddies dad was headed up there a couple weeks ago. He was telling me about it. sounds like fun. be interested to hear how you do. good luck

Posted on: 2015/2/9 10:01

LSF Member
Bad fishing today. one small northeen and got bit off by another. Havent hit the smallies out there this year but I've only been there threeish times. Went out there last spring, looked like the water was too chilly for alot of fish I saw some dead bass out there, probably happens to some extent every yr but maybe worse last year they're probably still there pretty thick though

Posted on: 2015/2/9 16:08

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
What presentation were you using? Hard to beat a sucker out there on a bare hook, with just a couple split shot to hold it down. As long as the flow is low, it usually doesn't take more than maybe 1/8oz.

I've fished out there during the winter, and had days where plastics produce well, but if it's slow, a sucker is impossible to beat.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 16:17

LSF Member
I grab a couple dozen medium suckers and toss em out on a size 4/0 offset shank hook, ones I use for pitching senkos in the summer for bass. I don't use sinkers because I catch plenty of rocks without them especially this yr. Got out there for a couple hours today caught plenty of rocks, two smallies, a small northern, and snagged a rough fish top o the back, thought it was a cat at first, then I saw it. Looked like a carp without the whiskers, same size scales, red fins. Never got onto em there this yr but am interested in getting out there for cats, did good last yr for them after dark. Would be cool to get into flyfishing and using riverbugs but its tough to move away from a known producing presentation

Posted on: 2015/2/21 17:39

LSF Member
From Maple Plain, MN
I've always wanted to hit the Smallmouth bite downstream from the power plant, but I've never tried. I hear of a lot of guys fly fishing throughout the winter, but it sounds like that aren't quite producing as much warm water as they used to from the plant? I know that is usually what makes them congregate...

Posted on: 2015/2/21 18:44

LSF Member
That could be the issue. Met a cool dude who used to bring his big white dog to the airplane rc park. Was doing construction for the for years and left to indiana his work was done there. Was plenty steamy yesterday but it was chilly as well. If you're correct thats a good thing for the fish because on years like last year many fish die due to abrupt temp changes in the spring

Posted on: 2015/2/22 11:56

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page