Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Help my Strikemaster story
LSF Member
OK guys got it back. Went out this morning 10 below 0 started in 5 pulls. I let it idle for 2 minutes then hit the ice running drilled 52 holes. I would stop then start it back up again never missed a beat. the fuel line was kinked and they sent out new ones. I hope they send me at least a hat for my troubles. I can say now that it runs I'm almost falling in love with this thing 23# is awesome. I did notice a lot of these are on sale lately I hope there not quiting them It would be just like me to get last years junk. well here is hoping thanks guys

Posted on: 2015/2/27 13:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Como
Nice to know it worked out for you. I should say, you will love this auger for yrs with well taken care of and if no other problem comes up. Like mines, I haven't had any problem so far and I'm loving it. I have an extra 5" shaft and with the motor, very very light for early ice season. Well guys since MRPIKE found out what his problem was, lets say no more auger debates.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 12:56

LSF Member
Amen! thanks

Posted on: 2015/2/28 13:47

LSF Member
I upgraded to the SM Solo 2.5 lazer three years ago (had an older SM Techumseh & Robin Sritke-Lite before that). I LOVE it a lot, easy to start and fast. Only thing I notice is that it burns through gas a lot quicker that my old one. I now have to bring extra gas when I go out. I have not counted, but I would guess I am getting ~50+ holes out of a tank.

One tip if you plan to get a Solo 2.5, I got one from D-rock for a pretty good discount. They get their's from the new units that were used for the Brainard Ice Tourney ... so they are already broken in, they make sure they are tuned up, and come with the same warranty that you get with new ones. No mystery if you got a bum auger head, they will fire it up right at the shop before you leave. D-rock is awesome to work with.

For those that are new to SM Lazer bits ... the blades are very sensitive to being out of pitch. If they are off at all they will either cut too aggressive, or cut like crap. Usually an easy fix if you get it to a shop that has a pitch jig. Need to always make sure users don't bang the blades on the ice, don't drill half way into the ice and leave it there, and put the blade cover on when not in use.

Considered upgrading to the new SM Honda 4-stroke, but couldn't justify the cost. Running synthetic oil in my Solo is near smokeless, and I would miss the roar of that Solo 2 stroke motor ... music to my ears My old Robin Strike-lite was too quiet.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 9:29

LSF Member
This is why people need to buy IONs!

Got 40 holes on Sunday in 3' of ice!

Posted on: 2015/3/10 20:41

LSF Member
Many people don't want IONs or other battery powered augers because of the need to refresh batteries every couple years.

Also, gas augers are superior when searching and drilling. No worries about "how many more holes will I drill before this is dead and I have to either sit where there are no fish, or go home".

Posted on: 2015/3/11 8:18

LSF Member
From Grand Rapids
We were talking about the Ion this past weekend. We punched 50 plus holes and we were to the power head every time. How would it hold up to that thick ice for all day fishing. How many batteries would you need? I think electric has its place but not for a guy that likes to punch holes and find fish. Wheel house would be the best thing ever.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 9:36

LSF Member
From Moorhead
In the last year, I have used the new propane Jiffy, Ion Strikemaster and Honda Strikemaster. was up on Winnipeg for three days -20, -26, -29. The battery ones and propane are worthless if you do not keep them warm. I kept the propane tank warm and it still would not idle. It was a pain in the A$# to try and keep them warm. Gas auger was the only ones that would run both our Jiffy gas and strikemaster gas. In above zero weather I am sure it may be a different story with the propane and battery.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 13:08

LSF Member
I have a used Jiffy Model 30 with a 3 horse Tecumseh engine. I love it. It has a chipper blade on it and cut through 2 feet of ice like nothing and runs great. Only problem yet was a broken spark plug (God knows how that happened) and some fuel leakage because of a crappy gas cap. Punched 20+ holes without problem. It almost seems like they built em better back in the day, but also a lot heavier, which is a downside.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 22:38

LSF Member
Quote:

iceman98 wrote:
I have a used Jiffy Model 30 with a 3 horse Tecumseh engine. I love it. It has a chipper blade on it and cut through 2 feet of ice like nothing and runs great. Only problem yet was a broken spark plug (God knows how that happened) and some fuel leakage because of a crappy gas cap. Punched 20+ holes without problem. It almost seems like they built em better back in the day, but also a lot heavier, which is a downside.

And louder! I can always tell when a neighbor has a jiffy going. The hondas purr like a kitten

Posted on: 2015/3/19 20:54

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page