Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Duluth area
LSF Member
I am heading to the Ashland area to hopefully do a bit of fishing on Lake Superior there and maybe around Duluth. I'll be fishing Superior for the first time. Does anyone have any tips or advise they would be willing to share? I think we will be mostly hoping to get some salmon and lake trout.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 12:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Duluth area
LSF Member
From Twin Cities/McGregor
The coho bite should be starting to pick up on the Ashland side of Chequamegon Bay, and there are always a handful of browns hanging around. Set up in 25-30fow. A good starting point would be just beyond the end of the old ore dock. You can have up to 3 lines in WI. I typically jig one, set a sucker a few feet off bottom with a tip up for browns, and another about 10ft down with a small shiner for cohos. Might want to look into getting an automatic fisherman. Legal in WI but not MN. Cohos hit and run so it is possible to miss a lot of flags. Remember with trout and salmon you do not need to hole hop. It is much more important to pay attention to your electronics and be ready. Salmon move through in schools and do not hang around long. If you do not mark any fish for an extended period of time consider trying a different spot in the bay. Lake herring should also be roaming these depths right about now as well.

I like to jig a small spoon tipped with either a shiner head or a couple wax worms. Both trout and salmon will hit this if they are in the mood. Buckshots, flyers, and swedish pimples all work well.

Good luck and don't forget to leave us a report! I'll be heading up in 2 weeks.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 13:34

Re: Duluth area
LSF Member
Thanks a ton! I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get back. We are heading out there starting around the 12th I believe.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 22:47

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page