Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Salmon and steel head runs
LSF Member
A little about me:>>> I fished mostly SE MN for trout and enjoyed every moment of it. However,I want to start aiming for the elusive salmon and steel head in north shore. I heard all the legends of spring runs and fall runs. So I want to be part of the fishermen who actually caught these great fish.

So here's my request:
I am new at fishing for salmon and trout in north shore. Could anyone point me to the right direction on when to start fishing for salmon and steel head for a total beginner? And where to start? Locations? Is cascade river state park any good?

Any tips would be much appreciated thank you.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 4:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Salmon and steel head runs
LSF Member
From andover
First welcome to LSF!! As far as salmon runs on the North Shore, I will tell you that those are over for the most part. Those great salmon runs ended in the 90"s. The DNR no longer stocks salmon in the streams. You can still get salmon by shore casting and out in Lake Superior by boat.

The Steelhead are making a comeback from the great times of years back, but are not in the numbers they were in the past. We have been getting more steelhead now at times while fishing for loopers [a strain of rainbow trout] [Kamloops]. Steelhead must be released right away, and loopers can be harvested. Loopers have a fin clipped while steelhead do not. So if you catch a steelhead, it will have all its fins, and is easily identified this way.

The steelhead and loopers will be making the spring run soon. The rivers are starting to run water on top of the ice as of last week. Once the ice is gone the fish will start the run. Rains will help. Most of the fishing will start on the lower North Shore sometime in April and then the fishing will pick up in the middle and upper North Shore. Last year my brother was still catching fish in mid-May up near Grand Marais including a 5 pound brook trout while fishing for steelhead.

You can see some of my pictures from years ago of the salmon fishing on my site below in the Fishing Up North page. There are also some pics of the great steelhead fishing we had back then. I will start a thread soon on North Shore steelhead and looper reports. My brother and his friends will be fishing the streams almost daily so I'll let everyone know how the runs are. I'll be up there as well for a try or two. good luck.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 8:51

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
Thanks for the info. And your site with the brats makes me hungry for it.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 12:26

From United States
I'm looking to head up the North Shore somewhere this year. I have been doing quite a bit of research the last few weeks. My question is would it be better to stick with conventional rod and reel or go with a fly rod? I'll prob be going up during the 1st 2 weeks of april. I'm home from work in ND then. Hope to catch a few loopers and maybe a steelhead.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 19:11

LSF Member
From andover
Coho are being caught off shore using inflated crawlers along the lower North Shore. The one's my brother caught were in the 18 inch range with a nice full body. Best time is very early in the morning till about 9 am and some after 4 pm. Cloudy days with a breeze is best. good luck.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 15:09

LSF Member
Do you mean casting off shore or in a boat just of shore???

Posted on: 2015/3/31 15:32

LSF Member
From andover
Casting off shore. There are some guy's trolling out there at times when weather permits, but right now it's off shore for the most part. good luck.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 18:18

LSF Member
Thankyou very much for the info. hopefully I can catch them with begginner's luck :)

Posted on: 2015/4/1 17:49

LSF Member
From andover
Still early for loopers and steelhead in the lower north shore streams. The Lester still had ice blocking the mouth 3 days ago, although there are streches of open areas to fish. My brother is going today to check out the streams and maybe dunk some spawn bags in the Lester in the Jaap hole to see if any are in. He will let me know tomorrow how he did and what the conditions are. By next week with warmer weather things should start to improve. good luck.

Posted on: 2015/4/8 11:37

LSF Member
From andover
As of today, the conditions are not good for fishing the streams. The rivers are very low and are running clear. There is still ice on the sides of areas of the streams. My brother fished yesterday by the Jaap hole in the Lester and after 2 hours left to check other streams. The Knife River was very low with the Sucker hole open with low and clear water. Ice still on some areas of the shorelines there.

Folks still fishing the shorelines and river mouths. Boats going out when the weather permits. Some people are catching fish of the pier by the lift bridge on the Park Point side on crawlers off bottom but the action is slow as well. good luck.

Posted on: 2015/4/9 14:55

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page