Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Advice fishing from St. Francis to Anoka
LSF Member
From Champlin
I'm a new boat owner and grew up fishing the river from shore. Just want to know is it pretty safe for a newbie boat fisherman to maneuver through that area without ruining your motor by hitting something?

Posted on: 2015/4/10 18:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Advice fishing from St. Francis to Anoka
LSF Member
Just from my canoe experience, I would say be careful. There are a lot of rocks and boulders and shallow areas. And the added current can be a challenge. How about a lake?
Cheers
IRG

Posted on: 2015/4/10 19:08

LSF Member
You can go a little ways north from the dam in Anoka and be o.k .I have been a few miles north with a 30hp longshaft trimmed all the way up by picking my route and moving real slow.Launch at the Anoka fairgrounds and fish your way north with the minnkota or putt with the outboard until you dare to go no further and then fish your way back down,that way you know where you can go and not go.Not much of a chance you would make it to StFrancis,at least with your boat and motor still being operational when you got there.

Posted on: 2015/4/10 22:27

LSF Member
From Cambridge
From Anoka up to the first island past the end of the no wake you are good but after that you can get yourself in trouble. Young and dumb we took a runabout up to st francis without hitting but we were not do lucky on the way back down.

Posted on: 2015/4/10 22:30

LSF Member
From Burnsville
It really depends on the water level in the river. Last summer it stayed pretty high which meant I could easily go out in a 16ft boat with a fishing buddy. If the water is low (like it appears to be now according to the USGS site) you would want to be very careful and take things slow. As long as you stick to the main channels and take it easy, you could probably make it from Anoka to Rum River Central park without too many issues. Usually slowly putting with the big motor upriver while casting and controlled drift (via trolling motor) on the way back down works well.

If it's just me, I fish out of a canoe with a trolling motor when im out on the Rum. Just be sure to plan your trip out well by either doing a drift and having a pickup vehicle or starting downriver and working your way up before drifting back down. You never want to travel downstream too far from your launch point (if not doing a drift) because if your motor decides to crap out on you, you're not going to have a good time.

Posted on: 2015/4/11 15:42

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page