Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: The "Rookie" Report
LSF Member
From Leech Lake/Lake Mille Lacs
Was on the water two days this past week. Very tough to put numbers in the boat for me--to say the least. Back at it Friday....

Posted on: 2015/7/16 8:16

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. MLK
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
In the last report "numbers" were hard to come by but not because, as usual, the bite was bad. Not finding any good bunches was the reason behind the low numbers we caught.

And as usual, being that we found a bunch yesterday--Friday-- ( thanks to a friend) we got a good catch of both keepers and "too bigs". 22 ft. on Red Tails/slip-sinker rigs was the ticket.

Will these big numbers become Gypsies like the others last week? A half mile of walleyes "here today gone tomorrow"? Oh my....

Posted on: 2015/7/18 6:27

LSF Member
I realize that my weather-beaten mind is easily confused but the Leech Lake walleyes have my mind and nerves beat to a frazzle! lol

The last three times out in the past few days have been feast or famine--to say the least. The confusing part is that usually when we have a tough day--it is NOT because the fish don't bite but rather we ( me) , simply, didn't find many. Not the case this week!

This past weekend--the graph looked like a walleye Nintendo game and the live-well had a nice "full" look to it. ( several limits of keepers and as many "too bigs") Then came Tuesday....with the graph full of the "right" stuff and the live-well almost empty ( 4 total walleyes for the 5 hrs.). In my weather-beaten memory--I can't recall the last time having them swarming under my boat and not biting--at least a couple or more per hour--let alone 6-8 per hour as the graph suggested should have happened.

Then today (Thursday), with the sick feeling I left the lake with on Tuesday still lingering...the graph lit up and the live-well filled up--again--limits of keepers and about as many "too bigs"! Go figure. Same spot(s) --same rigs/bait. Not GREAT but pretty good for a 5-6 hr. run and considering how the previous trip had gone.

So--it's been good--and tough this past week for the "Rookie". These pea-sized walleye brains have me confused!! Next time out? Who knows....lol!

FYI--Slip-sinker rigs /red tails and creek chubs in 22'-26'--Walker Bay.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 19:03

Staff Team
From S.E. MN
Thanks for the great reports!

Posted on: 2015/7/24 8:11

LSF Member
From Ramsey, MN
Thanks for the recent report Steve. It definitely fires me up to get out in the boat tomorrow to give it a shot. I have never fished leech before so this should be interesting as I don't have a clue what I'm up against. My boat is in a slip at Chase ready to roll. Does anyone have any further advice for me on spots to try out? My 3yr old is dying to see a walleye in the boat this weekend. I am all setup with leadcore gear so I was thinking maybe find 30' of water somewhere and give er hell.. Any and all advice is definitely appreciated..

Posted on: 2015/7/24 22:09

LSF Member
Troll the lead core along the 20-30 ft. break -line in the NW Walker Bay areas/stretches...--go left out of the Chase a half mile or so and......?? Let us know how it works!

Posted on: 2015/7/25 5:39

LSF Member
From Ramsey, MN
Well....... Should of brought along some live bait today to try out. I managed to only get out for 4 hours today. Wife insisted on cruising around the rest of the day to enjoy the nice weather we had. Fished the NW corner of walker bay and ended up with 2 throwbacks and about a dozen perch on the leadcore. Both walleyes came off the #5 rapala firetiger in 18-20'. It really amazes me how much structure this lake has to offer. It definitely makes it tougher to dial in on one depth range when pulling cranks. Overall it was another fun learning experience and I can't wait to get out there again with my boy!

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (1,529.35 KB)
21684_55b445a71ed70.jpg 2448X3264 px

Posted on: 2015/7/25 21:30

Staff Team
Quote:

Easton12 wrote:
Overall it was another fun learning experience and I can't wait to get out there again with my boy!

.......and that Sir, is what it's all about!

Absolutely great thread!

Posted on: 2015/7/25 22:33

LSF Member
Been out only three times since my last report ( twice in the past 3 days after being tied down dealing behind the scenes with this Lake Mille Lacs mess) so not so much info to relay the past week or so…

A week ago Sunday, the Walker Bay/chub bite dried up for me as we got only one fish per hour. Not unlike other slower days, finding the fish was the issue–not the bite itself.

Day before yesterday–in BIG NW winds–again looking for a good school of deeper Walker Bay fish came up empty–more or less. So after two hours of “hunting”, we headed for the main lake and put small cranks/lead core down in some basin/flats type areas–14-15 ft. of water. ( too deep for SMALL cranks without the lead and I don’t like deeper running bigger baits) And as usual–if you find the first one–and stay in that area–things can get good. We got the limit of nice keepers in a little over a hour working a football field size school–all mid-day/early afternoon by the way.

Yesterday ( Tuesday) we headed right back to the same school we left on Monday. But this time it was first thing in the morning. NO BITES in two hours! So back to Walker Bay–chubs in tow–and after hunting a few down on the screen–only had two to show for the 4 hrs. on the water at noon. After a 1.5 hr. shore stop–headed back out to the main lake lead-corin’ area that didn’t work in the morning and just like clock work ( same as the day before mid-day/afternoon) the rods bent over quite often. A dozen good ones in the boat in a couple hours with a couple gettin’ off at the edge of the net! So we got bailed out with another afternoon bite on the small cranks.

That’d be all I know.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 5:49

LSF Member
From Cold Spring, MN
steve-

headed up to walker area hoping to get out on leech this weekend. i am set up with lead core and have been working on it quite a bit around home to figure it out. i like to run #5 salmo hornets because they have a hard vibration and are easy to see if the bait is fowled up. is that about the size of baits you are running when you say smaller baits? also my boat doesn't troll down as slow and i would like it to for lead core, i usually put my trolling motor down to add a little drag and on a calm day i can get down to about 2.3 mph. what speeds are you running at? thanks

Posted on: 2015/8/5 14:51

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page