Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

North Shore Trout Streams?
Looking to do some camping in Tettegouche here in about 2 weeks and i would like to try for some trout on the rivers and streams up there. The two i am looking at are the Baptism River and Palisade Creek. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Any help would be appreciated!

Posted on: 2015/6/1 10:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: North Shore Trout Streams?
LSF Member
There's fish there. Brown's, a few Brookies, some Rainbows. They're not indigenous in the NS streams, so they don't achieve great size above the posted boundaries. Oxygenated water is a good place to try. Pools under waterfalls or cascades, eddies behind boulders or outcroppings large enough to agitate the water...

I'd consider trying a few other nearby streams. Temperance, Cascade, or, if you care for a short drive, Brule River just north of Grand Marais.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 11:16

Yeah, looks like Baptism and and Palisade were ones close enough to hike to but a drive might be in order one of the days. Any tips for bait up there? Still pretty new to the trout thing, I have been reading up and been out a couple times but we shall see when i get out there. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 11:22

LSF Member
From Maple Plain, MN
The baptism has got a great population of brook trout. I do well pulling streamers across the current, so if you are spin fishing you might just cast and reel with a small mepps or inline spinner. Hit the pockets of deeper water behind the moving water as mentioned above. The North Shore creeks and streams tend to get very warm and low in oxygen especially late in the year, so the trout will school up in the deeper, well-oxygenated water.

If it is bait you are interested in, you really can't do much better than your classic angler worm or night crawler (small pieces for brook trout). Keep in mind that the majority of brookies up there don't get much more than 10-11 inches in the streams. And those might even be on the big side. :)

Posted on: 2015/6/1 12:41

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot. I got a couple of smaller Blue Fox spinners that ill probably give a shot. So just small bits of crawler and try go just a little bit faster than the current?

You think smaller spoons might be worth trying or just stick to the work on a spinner?

Posted on: 2015/6/1 13:00

LSF Member
From central mn
Keep in mind you'll need a trout stamp and "no treble hooks" aloud in NS streams and rivers.These stream are also stocked wiith splake trout or have been in years past,not sure if the dnr still does the stocking?If you travel during the week days stop@ the French river fishery on hwy 61,they'll have all the lastest info.

fyi

Posted on: 2015/6/1 14:38

LSF Member
From Maple Plain, MN
That is a good point on the treble hook restriction, snow. There are a lot of regulations up there. However, the "single hook only" applies to the designated boundaries of the stream which are typically a mile or less from superior. You would have to switch out the treble with a single hook on your hardware. If you are planning to fish upstream there typically are not restrictions of any kind except the statewide regs. They sometimes restrict live bait on the lower portions of rivers, so know your regs before you go.

They will stock splake if they have access to the big lake. They can be a lot of fun, but I wouldn't count on them in the upper stretches of the rivers (past the barrier falls). Splake need deep, cold water to survive the summers.

Probably the most common technique for fishing live bait is to inflate the worm/crawler and use an egg sinker to let the worm hover 6-8 inches off the bottom in the current. You can also use a floating bead to keep the worm off the bottom. Cast it out and let it sit for 2-3 min. If nothing, cast to a new part of the pool. Be prepared to keep some fish if you do this though, as it many times hooks them deep. :(

A light weighted jig can work too and go for a cast and reel with the worm. Not as effective, but a less hooking mortality and a little more fun in my opinion.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 16:07

LSF Member
From Maple Plain, MN
Also, small spoons are worth a shot. I'd work them cross current to allow them a little more action on the retrieve. You'd have to blaze them downstream to get any action on them. But, down stream, up stream, cross current... all have worked for me before. My preference is to work things down stream or swing things in the current, but I'm a fly guy and out of touch with hardware fishing. :)

Posted on: 2015/6/1 16:27

So just to clarify, if i am within a mile of the Superior its single hook where as more that a mile in i would be fine with a treble hook?
I got a fair amount of both single and treble, so should not be too much trouble to change them out!
I got a good stock of lighter jigs too so that might be worth a shot as well. Should be a good time at the very least, maybe score some dinner out of it. :)

Posted on: 2015/6/2 7:51

LSF Member
From central mn
You are correct,i mile or less from the lake is single hook only.I suspect the best and easiest way to connect with your target fish is with meat from the lake up to the 1st barrier if you find a deep run,I've caught some dandy lake run brookies sometimes called coaster brook trout along the NS streams over the years,some reached into the lower 20" mark but they are few these days,#6 or #8 gamie hook(salmon egg hook) works well with either a worm or crawler.

The best setup for the shore drift fishing streams we call it the north shore system,we use a fly rod(8ft works well) but a spinning rod will work okay,longer is better and reel spooled up with mono #12 barrel swivel tied to the mainline,leave a 2-3" tag to snap a split shot to,the weight will sometimes get hungup and will slide off easily rather than losing your whole rig,then as stated tie short leader in either 4 or 6lb test with hook attached,just enough weight is used to allow your presentation float along with the current,so a few different size split shot is best.I've used this system since the 70's,somethings might have changed over the years but this system still works for me.

Trout feed aggressively in these streams,watch your line close for the pickup, allow just a couple seconds if using live bait before you set the hook.

Just a few thoughts.

You might stumble into a couple young steelhead or loopers up stream that are hold outs from the spawning runs,they can be found up stream in secluded spots most folks won't hike into,becareful on length restriction and clipped fish if you intend to keep one or two for dinner...see north shore fishing regs for more details.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 14:12

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page