Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Lutsen area fishing
I'm planning to bring my family to the Lutsen area on the North Shore in mid-June. My teenage son and daughter and I are casual fishermen here in Kansas for catfish and bass. I'd like to give them a chance to fish for species not available to us here. Am I right that most pike/walleye opportunities are going to be a ways inland from Lutsen? Should we hire a guide or try it on our own? Special equipment? And finally, recommendations for guides/captains for Superior fishing around Lutsen if we choose to go that route? Thanks in advance for your input!

Posted on: 2015/6/8 17:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Lutsen area fishing
LSF Member
From Blaine
A good start would be to look at the area on google maps and see where you're staying then look at the lakes near by or as far as you'd like to drive, take note of those lake names then go to the MN DNR website and use the lake finder to gain some information on species and lake depths on those lakes.

Many of the lakes just north up the hill are great fishing lakes. Caribou, Pike, Crescent, Clara, Tait. Also a little farther away you have Devil Track northeast of Lutsen and Fourmile and Toohey lakes to the west.

Hope this helps. Good luck and tight lines!

Posted on: 2015/6/9 10:03

LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
There are chartered opportunities if you want to get out onto Superior. Otherwise, there are plenty of trout streams if you want to have a relaxing day in the river or, as Cokes, said, if you travel over the "mountains" there are some nice lakes to try.

Posted on: 2015/6/9 12:13

Tightline, thanks for the response. I'm torn between doing the big lake charter and the inland lake experiences.

Cokes, I had done some of what you suggested, but it's a little hard to get a sense of scale and travel time from Google maps. The DNR lake surveys pages helped. In your opinion and experience, how helpful or necessary would a boat be for successful fishing at any of the lakes you mentioned such as Caribou and Pike?

Posted on: 2015/6/9 15:54

LSF Member
From andover
There are so many lakes as far as the inland lake experience where you are going. Best to pick some close and fish those [depending how much time you will spend there]. Four Mile and Toohey as stated before would be a good place close to there. You can google Lake Superior Charter boats and check them out. Good fishing for lake trout and salmon on the big lake. That is usually a one day deal so maybe you can spend some time with each adventure.

You would need a boat for these inland lakes for good fishing. You can visit the Gunflint Trail and travel all the way to the end for a scenic experience you will always remember. I could go on and on but it depends how much time you will spend there. good luck.

Posted on: 2015/6/9 17:01

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
Caribou Lake is your best option for easy fishing and convenience. It's only about 10 minutes from Lutsen. Has good number of bass and walleye. Of course having a boat is your best bet. But these lakes can be fished in a canoe as well...in Grand Marais there are several outfitters where you can rent a canoe for x amount of days. Good shore fishing can be had at numerous lakes, but if you can get a boat/canoe, go for it! The closest lake you can rent a boat is devil track lake, also a very good bass/walleye lake. If money isn't an issue, I would do the lake superior charter deal, especially if this is a once in a lifetime trip. Otherwise, shore casting can be good at times. Last year I caught quite a few steelhead from shore in that area. River mouths are the go to spots.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 13:45

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page