Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Hall Pass
LSF Member
From South Metro
I need some advice. I was given a hall pass to go fishing on Saturday morning. This is rare for me right now as I have 2 kids under 3 years of age, so free time is not common. I live in Cottage Grove and am looking to maximize my time. Ideally the closer to home, the better for more time spent on the water vs. driving. I like to fish Walleye, Bass, Pike and Crappie and really don't care which. I just want to catch fish. Any suggestions? BTW, I have a 14' aluminum boat if that changes things.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 9:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Hall Pass
LSF Member
From Maple Plain, MN
I would just hit up the Miss or any of the backwaters in your area. The flow is way down since the Spring, so you would be just fine with your 14 footer, especially in the backwaters.

If you want true diversity, the Mississippi usually gives you 5 different fish on 5 different casts.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 12:01

LSF Member
From South Metro
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely consider the backwaters. I had never really thought of that. Would be awesome to catch 5 or more species in a day!

Posted on: 2015/6/23 7:11

LSF Member
From Maple Plain, MN
There is some awesome top water fishing going on right now for smallmouths in the the Mississippi waterway. If you don't have a popper in your collection, pick one up before you go! The water is the perfect temp right now for early summer top water smallies.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 10:49

LSF Member
St. Croix River. Launch from St. Croix Bluffs and go upstream to where the Kinnickinnic meets the Croix. There's a pretty nice drop that goes from about 15'ish ft down to the 40's right above the mouth. I used to go there around this time of year for a few hrs and pick off a few fish of different species (walleye, saugers, whitebass, sheephead, smallmouth). Then bottom bounce or jig with the current through the narrows to see if anything is in there and go back up. Or I'll anchor outside of the channel above the mouth at the dropoff and dunk a glob of worms...

Posted on: 2015/6/23 11:18

LSF Member
From South Metro
I do have some poppers, prop baits, zara spooks and buzzbaits. This sounds like a blast.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 11:31

LSF Member
From South Metro
Quote:

1eyered wrote:
St. Croix River. Launch from St. Croix Bluffs and go upstream to where the Kinnickinnic meets the Croix. There's a pretty nice drop that goes from about 15'ish ft down to the 40's right above the mouth. I used to go there around this time of year for a few hrs and pick off a few fish of different species (walleye, saugers, whitebass, sheephead, smallmouth). Then bottom bounce or jig with the current through the narrows to see if anything is in there and go back up. Or I'll anchor outside of the channel above the mouth at the dropoff and dunk a glob of worms...

The only time I've been to the Bluffs Park, the boatlanding was an absolute nightmare. Have you witnessed the same or was that just a fluke?

Posted on: 2015/6/23 11:33

LSF Member
It does get busy, but once you're on the water, people spread out.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 14:41

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page