« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Thoughts about stocking mille Lacs~
LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
Quote:

ericj wrote:
Quote:

snow wrote:
Thats for sure,BUT at least the state can and should intervene and stop the netting and let the walleyes get a foot hold once again as the natives won't stop,hell the last two years of "no nets" proved that,might even see a up tickup in the walleye spawning bio mass come fall,would be the 1st incline since the netting started in 1999.

I laugh about that, 2 years of "no nets" (not you snow) some people can have such short term memory. The last two springs on the lake have stunk! Recall the ice waves on opening day a couple years back? Mother nature has tried to do her own roadblock to the netting IMO

The direct funds of the DNR and the tribes should be wholly responsible for any payments to suffering businesses and the like. But the politics will say that we tax payers have to foot it.

Late ice-outs are very beneficial for walleyes. Not only do they keep the nets at bay, they keep the anglers at bay while the late spawners finish doing their thing.
As far as help for failing businesses, here on Mille Lacs, there won't be any help here, taxpayer based or otherwise.
There won't be any "special session". The house has decided that the Mille Lacs issues can be dealt with in committee meetings that are already scheduled and legislators have decided that it would set a dangerous precedent for failing businesses elsewhere.
But at least Dayton and his family got out and did some smallie fishing yesterday.
What we're banking on more than anything at this point is the future of the millions of young fish in the lake.
It's OUR future, too.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 11:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From mora mn
Possibly a dumb question but what about stalking lake with more prey fish like perch and tullibee?

Posted on: 2015/8/9 15:50

LSF Member
If they did that, They should quit stocking thousands of muskies every other year. They're forage vacuums. They DO eat walleye, too, by the way. AND since they're not indigenous to the natural lake, they are actually an invasive aquatic species to Mille Lacs Lake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSEJVea_3xI

This doesn't include the ones stocked by private parties:
Fish Stocking Activity
Fish Stocked by Species for the Last Ten Years

Year Species Size Number Pounds
2014 muskellunge fingerlings 1,580 0.0
muskellunge fingerlings 1,288 96.6
2012 Muskellunge2 fingerlings 3,000 555.6
2010 Muskellunge fingerlings 2,999 653.4
2008 Muskellunge1 fingerlings 2,998 616.5
2006 Muskellunge1 fingerlings 3,000 712.2

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=48000200

Attach file:

jpg  musky stmch cntnt smllr.jpg (154.03 KB)
18706_55c7c3dc1d67e.jpg 640X800 px

Posted on: 2015/8/9 16:19

LSF Member
From central mn
Really Kelly? I'm not buying what your selling,so I'm wrong and your right,the info I stated is from the dnr,further our state anglers can only fish 50k arces of red and also how do we non-natives know what the real #'s are the tribe is harvesting? Oh I forgot,because they say so...That's working well on mille lacs,...cough,cough videos prove otherwise.

What you fail to see or accept IF all were equal and one group NOT have exclusive rights to Red Lake etc., is the angler quota would NEVER have been reached!! Anglers meager quota's--relatively speaking, are ONLY in place to accommodate the netting!!!! NO debating that! No netting equals no problems...but you will NEVER admit to that. Your scared to speak up in your own back yard for obvious reasons. --by defending the netting--you are a huge part of the problem.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 11:25

LSF Member
From Bemidji area --Red Lake
I think walleye anglers are too busy bashing muskies to read a scientific article that shows their populations are positively coorelated.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 14:26

LSF Member
Quote:

jiggingspoons wrote:
Please don't bash muskies for this. Anyone who has read a scientific article on muskies and walleyes interacting would know their populations have absolutely zero coorelation.

I for one am not buying that.

Muskies in a lake that didn't naturally have Muskies?

That makes the Muskie in that lake an Invasive Species.

Any fish that is introduced that eat the same feed, which Muskies certainly do, takes from that food chain.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 14:32

LSF Member
From Bemidji area --Red Lake
Bandersnatch, read the below article

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/fisheries/species/muskie/MUE_ImpactOnWalleye.pdf

The article never states that muskies don't walleyes, or they don't eat the same feed. It states that the populations are posively coorelated to a 99.7 confidence level. Good enough for me, but i'm out. I've battled this one for a while

Posted on: 2015/8/10 14:40

Pro Staff
From Southern MN
Not sure stocking is the right answer. Don't know what the right answer is. I don't think it would hurt things, but it will likely cost a pile of money, and I'd like to see the management issues figured out before you just go tossing fish in the lake, only to keep on keepin on.

Some will say, stop the netting and that'll do it. That needs to happen, but I don't think it's the be all, end all that alot of the boys think it is either.

For some reason, Mille Lacs sure goes through large swings in forage availabililty, when the forage is low, the fish are dumb, easy to catch and they get hammered and hammered hard. I think this has as much or more to do with the numbers of fish being low than anything else.

A lake full of big walleyes is mainly IMO what caused the crash. Going forward, I don't think it is beneficial to NEVER take out any of the bigger fish. Allow one over 22 or something to keep it more in balance.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 15:47

jimmyrig@lakestatefishing.com

LSF Member
Quote:

jiggingspoons wrote:
I think walleye anglers are too busy bashing muskies to read a scientific article that shows their populations are positively coorelated.

Look, I'm not bashing muskies, guys. I think muskie fishing is a great sport and many of my friends fish for 'em. And do pretty good.

This is what I'm saying.
If they belonged in Mille Lacs, God would have put them there.
They aren't natural to the lake and just like netting, the DNR refuses to acknowledge them as a predator that can put a real hurt on not only what walleyes eat, but walleyes themselves.
Until the DNR looks beyond zebra mussels and global warming for their smoking gun, they'll NEVER solve the dilemma we have with the walleye population.
They've managed this lake for years to be a trophy lake, yet you can't take trophies in walleyes, cuz the season's closed due to all the big fish eating the little ones. You can't take a trophy northern unless you have 2 little ones in the livewell. You can take ONE smallie trophy (the only species of the four that they have proven conclusively eats hardly ANY walleye), and I don't know many muskie fishermen that will keep a fish for a live mount.

They need to leave the lake alone and quit trying to play God.

They're doing a piss poor job of it.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 17:55

LSF Member
If tullibee are so endangered due to climate change and are so important to the walleye population, why is it still legal to net them on Mille Lacs in the fall?

Posted on: 2015/8/10 19:39

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page