Resorts & Lodging
Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

anyone else notice the disappearance of all the deer?
LSF Member
From Park Rapids
I read a midwest whitetail segment on this explaining how the acorns start to drop and the deer completely disappear while they can load up on the acorns. It explains that little mystery to me, but also says if you've got acorns, get ready for some action! Opener is getting close!

Posted on: 2015/9/3 6:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: anyone else notice the disappearance of all the deer?
LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
There has been acorns on the ground for at least 2 1/2 weeks now and the activity on my game cams has been the same for the last month and a half....everywhere I have been has a very good crop acorns this year.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 8:24

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
I'm getting less than half the deer activity on trail cameras for the last week, and have been this time of year for that last 4 seasons. it's always been a bit of a mystery especially since I have acorns in my woods also, but there must be a mother lode somewhere else that they run to, and leave mine till later on.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 8:47

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
I don't have a lot of oaks on my property but I have noticed that right around this time every year that the deer start going more nocturnal. Still pick them up on the cameras but they come in really early in the morning or really late at night.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 9:18

LSF Member
From South Metro Area
I don't think all acorns are the same - I have noticed that if you find a white oak tree you have found the preferred acorn for deer! Where I hunt there are few of these as compared to the Pin and Red Oak trees. It seems these get eaten after the white oak acorns are all consumed. I could be wrong, but that was what grandpa taught me...

Posted on: 2015/9/3 9:52

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quote:

go4it wrote:
I don't think all acorns are the same - I have noticed that if you find a white oak tree you have found the preferred acorn for deer! Where I hunt there are few of these as compared to the Pin and Red Oak trees. It seems these get eaten after the white oak acorns are all consumed. I could be wrong, but that was what grandpa taught me...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/total-outdoorsman/whitetail-scouting-locate-the-best-acorns-for-early-season-bucks

they are definitely not.....Good article that adds a little to what you said...best knowledge still comes from our gramps though

Posted on: 2015/9/3 10:25

LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
Quote:

go4it wrote:

My areas typically have only a few whites as well and they are always the first ones gone whether it deer or turkey who knows...but once I was told that the acorns from a white oak are ripe when they hit the ground and a red oaks don't ripen until they have been on the ground for awhile... I don't know I'm not a squirrel

Posted on: 2015/9/3 10:30

LSF Member
From East Bethel
Quote:

go4it wrote:

I have actually found that the deer prefer the Burr oak over the whit oak..... I have a good mix or white, red, and burr oak. I have lived on my place for 15 years and that's what I have observed. As far as the deer... they are in a pattern where food is very plentiful and they are staying away from the people places.... give it a couple of weeks and the pattern will change.......again.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 22:07

LSF Member
From East Bethel
Quote:

TW wrote:
There has been acorns on the ground for at least 2 1/2 weeks now and the activity on my game cams has been the same for the last month and a half....everywhere I have been has a very good crop acorns this year.

In my area the Burr oak is not as good as the red and pin oak. I run over the burr oak in my drive and the deer come flocking to enjoy the cracked corns

Posted on: 2015/9/3 22:10

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page