Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Best GPS For Ice Fishing?
LSF Member
Quote:

Ripjiggen wrote:
I bought the helix five for throwing on the boat in Canada and as a back up ice fishing flasher (told my wife I bought it for her to use)
...I have a vexilar already. Needless to say I have been using all winter and haven't felt like I needed my vex. I have brought it along on a few occasions though. Really nice having the GPS right on the flasher unit itself. I have the black hard case wrapped with the soft case and really like the gps. I throw it on my center councel in my truck and of my utv. Five inch screen is plenty on the gps when your not going 50 mph in a boat. I have been surprisingly happy with the flasher itself as well. Fairly simple to use and locks up gps way better than an h20 ever did. I am a vexilar guy and use all lowrance in my boat but wanted gps, sonar, for trips outside of my boat and backup flasher. I didn't like the lowrances with the screen going vertical so I did the sin and tried a bird so far it suites my needs well. I also like ice fishing with the regular sonar screen instead of the flasher at times. The battery last all day have not tried it two days in a row as I have always been able to charge it. Nice little 4 season unit.

You can use Lakemaster with your Helix 5, right?

Posted on: 2016/2/9 10:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Crystal, MN
PM sent

Posted on: 2016/2/9 10:35

LSF Member
just did it with the Helix 7, and I run it on the dash of the truck out on the ice. Loving it!!

Posted on: 2016/2/9 10:36

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Quote:

Jimmyrig wrote:
Your best option is to use a humminbird GPS. Like the one you would use in your boat. Get another power cord and mounting kit for it and away you go.
Ram mount in truck, on four wheeler, etc.

X2. I mounted a Helix 5 on a mini-RAM mount on the handlebar of my snow machine. For the power cord, I installed a cigarette plug-in so I can use it on the wheeler, sled, or in the truck. I couldn't be happier with it.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 10:37

LSF Member
Quote:

Gadfly08 wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I'm also annoyed that after having the App for 5+ years they are starting to charge a yearly fee for more than I originally purchased it for. Some lakes the accuracy is fairly close however I was on a lake the day and the depths were so far off I'm convinced they made them up, more than 20 feet in some places.

I was fishing a fairly decent size hump over the weekend and it wasn't even on my Navionics app...

Posted on: 2016/2/9 10:37

LSF Member
So it looks like most people prefer Garmin or Humminbird. For those of you who are using the Helix, can I purchase a Lakemaster chip for those units? Also, do they make a trolling motor mount for the transducer at all?

Posted on: 2016/2/9 10:44

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Yes you can buy a chip. Actually I prefer Lowrance but tried a bird because of the screen layout of the 5 inch vs the Lowrance and the fact I had a case already from an older bird I used to take to Canada. I just took the chip out of my boat and popped it in the bird.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 10:54

LSF Member
Quote:

Ripjiggen wrote:
Yes you can buy a chip. Actually I prefer Lowrance but tried a bird because of the screen layout of the 5 inch vs the Lowrance and the fact I had a case already from an older bird I used to take to Canada. I just took the chip out of my boat and popped it in the bird.

I prefer Lowrance as well and it stinks that they don't use Lakemaster anymore.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 12:30

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Do you have a graph in your boat currently...if its on a ram mount could always just use that mounted to some other vehicle....no dice when walking out but could probably just use your phone for that as if you are like me the walks out to middle of the lake don't happen anymore...lol

Posted on: 2016/2/9 12:58

LSF Member
From Linwood, MN
I have a Garmin Oregon 650 with the LakeVU map installed, a Lowrance with the Lakemaster chip and the Navionics on my phone. I know overkill....The Lowrance eats batteries something fierce so I just got the Garmin to replace it. The Navionics was just a back-up. Of the three the Garmin seems to have the most information( it is the newest map of the 3) but it seems to show more detail and be more accurate.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 15:43

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page