Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Where should I fish this weekend?
So I've frequented this site for a while now but this is my first post. Just wanting to give back for all the info that has helped me. I've been up to Red 5 weekends this year (Thus afternoon's to Sat afternoons), with the first being New Years weekend. I've gone out of Westwind each time and ventured out about as far as I could and away from people. 3 weekends ago the bite got noticeably lighter, with strikes nowhere near as aggressive when they did happen.. I've used small spoons and full crappie minnows on them. I just returned today and it was the slowest it's been all season, but I am glad I went in spite of people saying "not worth the time". In 48 hours we did 12 walleyes and 12 perch in 14ft of water. First 24 hours they hit rattle reels with red hooks or green frostee's, second 24 hours they wanted small spoons. Both nights fish active between 5-7pm and 10-midnight. Rest of the the time was fairly slow, with just a couple fish overnight. We did get 3 between 8am and 10am this morning before we left, maybe the weather was turning the bite on a bit more with snow on the way? It was slower, but not dead. Got away from the crowds, fished with small presentations, and watched a lot of family feud on the tv. It was great. I really enjoy this forum.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 21:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Circle Pines
Well I've got a group going out next weekend. Nevermind how terrible everyone says its been. I predict we'll 1. Catch a few fish 2. Catch a hell of a buzz,and 3. Have a hell of a good time, getting away from the wives and kids for a weekend. Besides, its not like we're gonna cancel the plans we have had for months just cuz fishing might be slow. Its called fishing, not catching, for a reason after all.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 1:14

LSF Member
Right on Gatzke and Haasey, we are coming up tomorrow morning and have had this planned since last February. Don't get me wrong, I want to catch some fish but for us it is getting together, the laughs and the memories. We go each year and love it.
Rev

Posted on: 2016/2/14 9:09

Administrator
First of all Welcome gatzle12 and Hassey to LSF and great first time posts. I am glad there are many other fisherman that enjoy the time away and just forgetting about everyday life. Hope the fishing picks up for all of those who have plans to head up there. One of my best trips was in late February at -22 with wind and blizzard conditions so good luck and let us know how you do.............Kirk

Posted on: 2016/2/14 10:56

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
What is the best biting bait right now and what is available in the Waskish area?

Posted on: 2016/2/14 11:21

LSF Member
From South Metro
Well this weekend proved to be a slow weekend, as expected. Fished Saturday-Monday. Set up in 11 FOW, out of Battle River Rentals with my wife and buddy and his fiance over the weekend. Stayed put Saturday and fishing was slow but steady. The front moved in early early Sunday morning, snow and wind were pretty bad which kept us from getting out and doing some searching. Weather finally started to improve as we left Monday afternoon.
Scratched out a limit between the 4 of us for the weekend. Most fish were caught on deadsticks with a plain hook under a split shot, 6" off the bottom. Red seemed to be the ticket but we caught fish on all sorts of plain colored hooks. Full bodied crappies minnows seemed to catch most of our fish as we really didnt catch anything on bigger rainbows,shiners or fat heads. A lot of lookers and any aggressive jigging just scared them off. Caught a decent amount of perch, kept 2 with the rest being too small to scrap anything off of.We did catch a couple healthy pike in the mid 20's as well on some bigger rainbows jigging but not what we were after. Overall, slow weekend but gave the ladies a chance to get on some fish and relax. Jerry and Matt at Battle River, as always run a nice outfit and never have anything bad to say over the years we have been going up there. Hopefully this warmer weather will turn something around for the last couple weekends left of the season.

Attach file:

jpg  Red Lake 2016.jpg (75.28 KB)
16955_56c39ddfb229e.jpg 960X540 px

Posted on: 2016/2/16 17:08

LSF Member
From Minneapolis & Myr Mar Villas
Quote:

Kirk wrote:
Getting up there and on the lake and enjoying the outdoors and just having a line in the water is all it takes for me. I know the expense and the time to drive up there but I guess for me just getting away up to that great place and enjoying a few cocktails and meeting other fisherman is what I look forward to the most. Don't get me wrong I am up there to catch fish and usually we do but for me anytime away from work and the daily life is what getting up on the lake and fishing means to me...............Kirk
You got it Kirk! Just thought I'd reinforce your message. That is the attitude I take with me every time I go out. If I measured my enjoyment on how many or how big of a catch, I would have long since moved on to other forms of immediate gratification. There is a lot to gain from just "being out there". On a more specific note, on URL or LOTW or others you still have a better chance of getting a keeper fish for a meal even if fishing is slow. On Mille lacs where I do most my fishing, getting one in the slot is somewhat rare these days. Not a requirement for me, just a hope. It's been a tradition for me since I started fishing at 5 years old. Fortunately most establishment's around Mille Lacs offer that "tradition" on their menu. Be thankful for whatever blessings you are given.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 20:54

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page