Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

EELPOUT Citation and Fishing in Canada
LSF Member
From minnesota
I got a ticket for too many lines down. Friday afternoon I passed out in the ice house at 2:30 and my buddies were outside playing pong in the nice weather. CO stops by and I got nailed with the fine. They said with rattle reels a person has to be inside the shack or the lines are considered unattended. They said tip ups are o.k. since they are in plain view. I was in the wrong and realize this now. The CO was super nice about it and more than courteous during the whole ordeal...no complaints there.

I am wondering how this citation affects my eligibility to fish / hunt in Canada. A good friend told me I won't be able to fish up there since I have a game and fish related citation here in the states.

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, is there anything I can do to make myself eligible again.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 13:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: EELPOUT Citation and Fishing in Canada
LSF Member
I have no info on the Canada issue but I had a CO pay me a visit on Red Lake a few years ago. Me and 3 others rented two 2 man houses from and outfitter. i was in one house on the phone while my buddy ran over to the other house (maybe 50 yards away) to get something from them. The CO stopped by in the 5 -10 minutes my buddy was gone. I had3 rattle reels down and I was jigging so had a total of 4 lines.

The CO was very straight to the point and no small talk. He just said if your buddy is gone for more than 5-10 minutes make sure to reel up the extra lines but in my case I was fine. He just checked my license and that was it. Right before he left my buddy comes sprinting over from the other house to make us legal again.

I think its a fine line and could go either way for the CO, its really up to each officer how they want to deal with it I think. Fortunately the one I dealt with understood a guy may run to the bathroom or to another house for a minute.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 13:59

LSF Member
From minnesota
Yeah we were hoping it would be a gray-ish area but I ended up getting a ticket. I honestly can't complain though because if they looked harder they can usually find a few things to cite a guy for (i.e. 2 screws holding the license plate vs 4...who wouldve ever thought).

My main concern is being able to fish and hunt in Canada in the next few years.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 14:45

LSF Member
I just fired up the google machine for 30 seconds and seemed to find a general consensus that you'd be fine getting into and fishing in Canada given your situation. Keep in mind thats not a professional opinion and is worth every penny you paid for it.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 14:54

LSF Member
From In Depth Outdoors
I lost a bet with a guy at work. Aparently rattle reels need to be rolled up if you are sleeping. We even called down to the DNR office to settle the argument. The phone was on speaker phone, I heard it with my own two ears. They said it was unattended lines. Don't know if an officer would enforce this, or if the guy at the DNR office even had a clue what we were talking about. But it cost me lunch. 🍔🍟

Posted on: 2016/2/22 16:33

LSF Member
Quote:

MNdrifter wrote:
I lost a bet with a guy at work. Aparently rattle reels need to be rolled up if you are sleeping. We even called down to the DNR office to settle the argument. The phone was on speaker phone, I heard it with my own two ears. They said it was unattended lines. Don't know if an officer would enforce this, or if the guy at the DNR office even had a clue what we were talking about. But it cost me lunch. 🍔🍟

How could they even prove you were sleeping. A CO should announce themselves when they are at your door so you'd be awake before you let him in. He can't prove you were sleeping or just laying in bed quietly with the lights turned down so that you didn't spook the fish.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 16:43

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page