Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Planer boards and downriggers?
LSF Member
From St Louis Park, MN
Looking to buy my first set of planer boards. Would be using anywhere from 2-4 boards at a time. What is your favorite brand to use? Would mostly be using them on Lake Superior.

Also looking at a set of downriggers for lakers. Worth the money? Or would dipsey divers work fine?

Posted on: 2016/3/15 22:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Planer boards and downriggers?
LSF Member
From a lake,mn
I like the church walleye boards for up to 10 color lead and up to 300 copper. If I'm running 12oz balls I use the tx44. Dipsy divers are a great option for running more lines but you do not have the depth control like you do with a downrigger.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 6:42

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
Either church or off shore boards will work for you. If you are going to be hooking them to braid line you will want to invest in some heavy grip clips so they don't slip.

Riggers will allow you to hug to bottom and know exactly where you lures are. If you get a rigger that will handle 10# balls you can tip your transducer up a click or 2 and see where the balls are running on your graph too.

Another option besides riggers is a "pump handle" basically its a 3-way rig with a 1-2# drop weight. Just be cautious bumping bottom too much some places are pretty snaggy and some are not. But there is only one way to learn...

You definitely do not need riggers for early season, some days I don't even deploy mine and run all flat lines or 1 to 3 colors of leadcore is all the deeper I will fish.

Dipseys will put fish in the boat but I have found that riggers will outperform them overall, but definitely have their days they beat the riggers.

As you fish the lake more you will learn ways to target different levels of the water column and spread those presentations wide to cover water.

But keep in mind, just because you are running riggers deep out of Duluth in June does not mean you need to be that deep in Silver Bay in June and so on. It is all about vertical water temp when playing a numbers game.

One great resource is www.glangler.com for more info on fishing big water.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 7:05

LSF Member
From West metro
Off Shore only for me. Buy the snap over clips for big water or braids. I own them all and Off Shore is still the best. They cost more but last forever if you take care of them! Wait for a sale at like Fleet farm and buy them and never look back, great boards!

Posted on: 2016/3/16 7:58

LSF Member
From Blaine
For great lakes I run Church walleye boards with off shore OR-18 snaps on them. To me it seems like I can get the boards to dig a little harder with running segmented lead off of them. No issue running 3 off each side with lead and have a good spread. A lot of it comes down to how high you can get the rod tips when they are in your holders. I run vertical trees on each side of the boat so there is quite a bit of height to the rods.

Attach file:

jpg  20150716_145311.jpg (4,300.16 KB)
13690_56e959c47dea7.jpg 5312X2988 px

jpg  20150717_214015.jpg (4,386.52 KB)
13690_56e95a4eb7d45.jpg 5312X2988 px

Posted on: 2016/3/16 8:06

LSF Member
From St Louis Park, MN
Thanks for the info guys!!!

Posted on: 2016/3/16 8:23

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page