Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 2016 Spring Smelt
LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
There has been some decent numbers taken over the last 6 days or so but the wind this year is the killer it might drag out the run a little longer than normal though... We pulled Friday night took a beating with 2-2.5 ft waves and the forecast does not look good a lot of big Northeast wind...we got soaked and worked our butts off and I'm still cleaning smelt

Posted on: 2016/4/24 12:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Stopped down at the pier Saturday night and there were a few groups making a haul over the wall using some crazy type of net contraption they built themselves. It looked like ten poles crisscrossed with a big net suspended underneath. They would then lower it down into the water with a long extendable pole and let it sit for a minute, then rip it up really quick out and over the wall loaded with smelt. I've never seen anything like it but it was working pretty good. And is it legal? I don't know...

Posted on: 2016/4/25 9:26

LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
Drop nets are actually NOT legal in MN they are allowed in Wisconsin... The way it has sounded to me is that the dnr has been just turning a blind eye to the whole situation because one of the COs was patrolling up and down the beach on Friday night I know for a fact that the drop netters were talked to by him and they were there the next 2 nights as well

Posted on: 2016/4/25 9:51

LSF Member
From Stillwater, MN/Danbury, WI
The rivers stayed active the past few days but last night there were some good hauls on Park Point. Reports are some groups got a few gallons while others got several gallons.

Ashland has been done for 4-5 days now. We had a really good year there and saw back to back 100 gallon pulls (first time since 6 years ago) one night. Best night was close to 5,000 pounds. The run there lasted a solid 12 days.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 8:09

LSF Member
My grandfather was the Chief of the Excelsior Fire Dept. back in the 60's- they used to do an annual smelt fry fund raiser until the smelt became tougher to come by. They tried using this old washing machine to rinse them but it ended up beating them up- he is the guy farthest to the right. He was the guy responsible for teaching me to fish and hunt, a legacy that has passed down to my kids and hopefully my 6 week old granddaughter!

Attach file:

png  Smelt Fry.png (481.69 KB)
8275_572cabad4c977.png 602X442 px

Posted on: 2016/5/6 9:35

LSF Member
My group got over 125 gallon last friday. Had a few 5 gallon pulls around midnight.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 13:01

LSF Member
From andover
Thanks for the report iceman. Shackrat, I remember those runs well . There were times they were so thick we could catch them with our hands. Great memeories. good luck.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 13:30

Die young as old as possible.

LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
Was up again on Monday night no big pulls biggest was maybe 3 gallons we filled first cooler in about 40 minutes...early was about half gallon average per pull and slowed as night went..i know guys that went last night still got a few but they said it was real spotty had to move around just to find em sounds to me like it's winding down..there is a chance on the streams yet but I have a feeling u would have to look to the north of Lester Creek though

Posted on: 2016/5/6 17:01

LSF Member
The South Haven Fire Department located 20 minutes south of St Cloud is having our annual Smelt Fry Saturday May 7th at the South Haven Fire Hall from 4:30-8:00. We always get our Smelt from Lake Superior fish company and he said it has been a tough year.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 21:27

LSF Member
From andover
For those that do not know the history of the smelt runs, here is what happened. Many years ago we had the huge smelt runs as stated before. The rivers were thick with them. Why? because of the lampreys that overtook the lake, killing many of the salmon and lake trout. Then they had lamprey controls put it the streams to kill the lamprey's. Slowly over the years the predators in the lake like the lake trout, rainbows, and salmon made a big comback.. Lake trout were stocked to supplement the spawning native lakers.

Steelhead are making a comback with the help of the trout organisations. Loopers were stocked to give anglers trout to go after when the steelhead population went down. The salmon you catch now are primarily those stocked in Canadian streams that flow into Lake Superior. I still catch some loopers with lamprey marks on them but they are under control for the most part.

As a kid we used to net smelt in the rivers but we also netted them in the bay side of the park point area. Now most of the folks go on the lake side. hope everyone had a great time with the smelt and some future great meals from the catch. good luck.

Posted on: 2016/5/7 7:55

Die young as old as possible.

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page