Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Power Trim/Tilt?
LSF Member
Hey guys,

Have an older boat, 1990's, with an Evinrude 90hp w/ power trim/tilt. Just getting it ready for a vacation trip and having trouble with the power trim/tilt.

Didn't work at all at first, switch on the engine and remote console, neither worked but heard clicking noises. Playing around it would move up a bit, then stop. Never got it to move down at all. Switched out one new relay, was only on new one left at the store I went to, but that did nothing better, moved a bit then stopped. Ran direct connection from power trim/tilt motor to battery, removing all other accessories, still the same. I am assuming it is the motor.

Does that sound legit, or is there more troubleshooting I can do? How much work is it to replace the power trim/tilt motor?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Posted on: 2016/5/20 10:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Power Trim/Tilt?
LSF Member
it might still be the relays...try taking the bottom one and put it in the top...put the top in the bottom. this should make it go down but not up (if thats the issue). check the connections on the back side of the relay (on the back of the housing the relay plugs into). the wires are plug in and if you push the relay in and out a few times it wiggles the wire out of the back side.

Might not be the issue but we have had this before with johnsons.

i am guessing the click you hear is the relay. its hard to get to the back side of that housing but try it out.

Posted on: 2016/5/20 14:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From East Bethel
Could be the motor.......... Easy fix but spendy. I changed out the trim motor on my 200HP Mercury OPTI... 2 5mm bolts. It took more time to strap down the wires. I think the trim motor cost around $300.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2016/5/20 19:58

LSF Member
From Minnesota
I know with my old boat it was a hydraulic power trim/ tilt and it wouldn't move because it was low on hydraulic fluid. I am not sure if this would pertain to you at all, though once we filled it up with fluid again it worked flawlessly

Posted on: 2016/5/21 7:27

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page