Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Big Sandy Lake Memorial report 2016
LSF Member
Another memorial weekend has come and gone…. The McGregor area was packed full of people from Friday night till Monday. As a matter of fact the traffic was light enough on Monday that I think most were staying the week. The recreational boats are back on the water and the sand bars are in full swing.
Would like to do a quick shout out to the area resorts making people happy on the lake! Be patient at these establishments as many of them have some new owners and new employees. As many of you already know I have a seasonal camper at Eagle Point resort and have been there for a better part of 15 years. I was down at the bar and enjoyed their version of a “Juicy Lucy”. Highly recommended! I also went over to a very busy Zorbaz for a quick beer and Nachos. My son made it over on Monday to Big Sandy lodge for breakfast and was not disappointed. Hillcrest is on this weekend’s plans!
On to the fishing report! I can tell you the sunfish are back to their usual beds and the crappies are on the spawn. As a reminder I want to make sure that you are respecting everyone’s fish on the area lakes. The limit on Big Sandy is (5) sunfish and I can’t wait for them to make the crappies (5). If you see someone breaking the rules turn them in. Take some 8-9 inchers for the pan and have fun with catching. These fish are a beautiful resource that I would like to keep around for my children and yours.
I want to bring up a great way to keep the kids busy. Take them pike fishing with plastics! Yes, you might lose a few lead heads and tails but the reward is so worth it. I had the opportunity to take my wife, son, sons girlfriend and daughter out for a “running with the pike”. I should have bulked up the line and leaders but there is walleye in this lake. I took my chance and stuck with the 6lb test and 1/4oz lead heads matched with some plastic ring grubs and pulsars. I dialed in the new helix 9 at about 1.3mph and headed for the sun. We easily landed 30-40 small pike with a handful of walleyes. We had one surprise monster 36” pike that gave Taylor a run for the money!
Enjoy the pics!
Shannon Kruse

photo IMG_5192_zpsl50vyior.jpg

photo IMG_5193_zpsrsttmydb.jpg

photo IMG_5191_zpsql9bivlb.jpg

Posted on: 2016/5/31 16:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Big Sandy Lake Memorial report 2016
LSF Member
From East Central,MN
Thanks for the report Bucketrack, looking forward to getting up there myself pretty soon.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 11:31
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Great report. Yes that lake is great for the Pike. It gives all levels of experience lots of action. I found the magic Pike was a weedless silver minnow with a white plastic tail.

It seems all the resorts on the lake are under new management. I guess Hilcrest is now the old timers.

I miss the fishing on that lake. Gotta get back up there sometime.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 12:09

LSF Member
From central mn
Hey Buck,great report,love that area,surprised you didn't stick any bass but what fun none the less.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 14:56

LSF Member
Thank you for the report! very nice fish! My wife and daughter had a great time fishing for the sunnies off the end of the dock Friday night. They pulled in some giant bulls! We did let the big ones go to swim another day and for others to reel in. Found a good walleye bite towards the end of the day. was able to put some in the frying pan when we got home from the weekend and they tasted great. The lake is in full swing that is for sure. My son was fishing off the dock and he thought a huge northern pulled in his rod while he was getting a new leech to put on. We were able to track down the bobber and pulled up a very nice sunny. He was a bit disappointed when he saw what pulled it in! Had to explain that sunfish was a trophy and to be excited! Good luck all

Posted on: 2016/6/1 14:57

LSF Member
From Cokato, MN
Thanks for the report, Bucket! Spent the weekend at our cabin across Davis bay straight east from Eagle Point. Glad to hear the fish are hitting! I haven't made it out other than a few casts off the dock. We sold our boat and are "patiently" waiting for the new one to be ready. Looked like ALOT of boats hitting the shallows in different areas for panfish. Made it over to Hillcrest for a mid-afternoon meal on Sunday. Really like that place! Great food and great service. Is the Eagle Point Lounge accessible by boat? Haven't tried that place, but would like to.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 16:15

LSF Member
Accessible by boat and car! Lots of events planned for this year! I am working on a smelt fry. They usually have a bean bag tourney also!

Posted on: 2016/6/1 17:39

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page